Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow Right Click Menu  (Read 3816 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Slow Right Click Menu
« on: January 31, 2017, 04:13:03 PM »
It takes several seconds to open a menu when right clicking on any item anywhere on my computer. Up until recently I had assumed that it was just a result of waiting on the mechanical hard drive to spin up, but today I noticed it with a USB hard drive and USB stick.

Does anyone know how I might track down what would be causing the problem?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Slow Right Click Menu
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »
The primary cause of the right-click menu being slow is excess or poorly performing Explorer Extensions.

You can use a tool like ShellExView. To check these out. If you sort by Type, you'll want to look at the "Context Menu" entries, in particular, Non-Microsoft entries, which are highlighted in Pink.

I've found Zip and Archive programs that add a lot of options can drag down performance here, especially if you install a few of them.

A lot of other programs will add their own little Context Menu extensions. For example NVidia adds one that will basically check if you are right-clicking the desktop, and if so show the added option for NVidia Control Panel. MBAM adds one that will allow scanning folders, etc.

Of course you can re-enable items afterwards, thankfully.

When you disable/enable items it will be necessary to restart Explorer. Seems they've added an item on the Options Menu for this since I last used it.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Totalreformer

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »
It takes several seconds to open a menu when right clicking on any item anywhere on my computer. Up until recently I had assumed that it was just a result of waiting on the mechanical hard drive to spin up, but today I noticed it with a USB hard drive and USB stick.

Does anyone know how I might track down what would be causing the problem?
NR 1

Clear unnecessary icons from programs such as 7-zip or vlc etc from the right click menu and see if problem persist.

NR 2

Rightclick on "computer" and go to properties, advance system settings and advanced, then click on performance and set it to "adjust for best performance" this will disable unnecessary visual features. If you prefer mark the "animations in the task-bar, show shadows under mouse pointer, show shadows under windows, smooth edges of screen fonts and last use visual styles on windows and buttons. This is if you think the performance option looks to bad and plain.

NR 3 if you got time.

Generally i would say to optimize your windows 7 to get faster and be more directed towards performance, that is if you are a gamer or using heavy software or just browsing the internet and not using it on work etc. This solves almost all issues with having slow moments when doing just about anything in windows. There's a You-tube video (yea i know but some, just some are really great and a lot of work and knowledge is put in to it by experienced people) that i would recommend watching and follow, instead of watching long guides, its 1h20 minutes but he also explains what he does and why, so you have the information you need to decide what settings you benefit to change. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LwIfcW0EnY&list=PLF0VTmk6ECmQFx8sazMJCpLHSoTx5blry&index=11
Last but not least, install Glary Utilities 5 (or cc cleaner) and clean up your computer from junk.

Sorry for being a bit off topic but i just cant stand hearing slow windows issues when it could be made so fast and snappy! =)

Hope this helps and good luck!  :P

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 05:26:56 AM »
Feel free to ignore the above post. Follow the advice from BC Programmer.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 11:31:53 AM »
The primary cause of the right-click menu being slow is excess or poorly performing Explorer Extensions.

You can use a tool like ShellExView. To check these out. If you sort by Type, you'll want to look at the "Context Menu" entries, in particular, Non-Microsoft entries, which are highlighted in Pink.

I've found Zip and Archive programs that add a lot of options can drag down performance here, especially if you install a few of them.

A lot of other programs will add their own little Context Menu extensions. For example NVidia adds one that will basically check if you are right-clicking the desktop, and if so show the added option for NVidia Control Panel. MBAM adds one that will allow scanning folders, etc.

Of course you can re-enable items afterwards, thankfully.

When you disable/enable items it will be necessary to restart Explorer. Seems they've added an item on the Options Menu for this since I last used it.

Thanks that did the job perfectly. I'm not sure exactly which menu extension was causing the issue as I just disabled all the ones which I don't use. So I'm also happy that my menu's have been de-cluttered.

I can however vouch for 7-zip's performance affects as I retained the menu.