Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking for a link for Windows 10  (Read 10692 times)

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Looking for a link for Windows 10
    « on: January 31, 2017, 08:27:44 PM »
    I have Windows 8 Pro (Build 9200) Not licensed) I can't afford to pay for Windows 10. Is there a legit link out there that I can download without losing programs or ruining my laptop? I'm not too computer savvy. I just want an upgrade. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Looking for a link for Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:36:36 PM »
    Third party programs that run on Windows 10 or almost always made to run on Windows 8.1 also. So it is not clear why you want to move unto windows 10 at this time. Is there some specific thing about Windows 10 you want to have?

You do not have to spend money to try Windows 10 for 30 days. Under some conditions you might be eligible for a free copy of Windows 10.

You can download a ISO file from Microsoft that can be used to make a DVD for a new or upgrade install of Windows 10. At the time of install yu have the choice of a regular upgrade or a custom install. I recommend you try the custom install. With custom install you can put a clean copy on Windows 10 on exasperate Hard Drive or partition.

If you have a spare computer, you can try Windows 10 first on the spare and see if you like it. You can take 30 days to decide if you want to move up to Windows 10 or fall back to Windows 8.1 as your favourite OS.

My advice is to NOT upgrade to Windows 10, but keep what you have. Upgrades can fail and you have the unhappy chore to fix up what went wrong.

Many users prefer to have a dual-boot option for Windows 10 and an earlier version.  See this:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/how-to-multiboot-windows-10-with-another-operating-system-1300472
    Introduction

Windows 10 is here, but some users may not want to get rid of Windows 7 or Windows 8 quite yet. They may have a Mac or a Linux-based computer. Buying another computer for Windows 10 is one way to have both, but this option can be expensive.

Another option is to simply run both operating systems on the same computer. This set-up is commonly referred to as multi-booting. Dual booting is another commonly used term, referring to the common set-up of two operating systems. Some users opt to add additional operating systems, but two is the most common set-up in a multi-boot The multi-boot set up below is a dual boot.

Another idea.
    Some vendors offer older computers with Windows 10 installed. It is legal. Microsoft gives certified vendors the right to sell a older PC with Windows 10 on it. Sounds crazy, but true. You can buy a used PC with Windows 10 for less taht the retail price of Windows 10. No joke.
    Search for Used PC with Windows 10 and see for your self.

Example:
    Acer Desktop Computer  $100

Just a thought.  :)

bravofan71

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:55:14 AM »
      Yeah. I was having second thoughts on it after I had posted. I just wanted to have the latest version for a friend. You're right. I'd better leave it as it is. It functions properly. I think I'm going to continue to keep it that way. Lol. Thanks for your reply.

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 07:25:20 AM »
      Just because one forum member suggested not upgrading, you gave up on your quest?

To answer your question, here is the link where you can still download Windows 10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

As long as you can provide a valid product key from Win 7 or Win 8, you can do the upgrade for free and Windows 10 will activate.  (Oops!  I see you have an unlicensed copy of Win 8.  Sorry, don't know where you can steal Windows 10 from, not to mention that helping you defraud Microsoft would be against forum rules).

My suggestion would be to do a system image backup of the current drive, then do the upgrade and TRY IT FOR YOURSELF.  If you decide you don't like it, restore from the system backup.