Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tablet suggestions....  (Read 2511 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Tablet suggestions....
« on: February 14, 2017, 12:53:37 PM »
MODS: if this is in the wrong section, PLEASE let me know.

Greetings CH forums!

I wanted to get an opinion from you guys on tablets. I was looking at the surface tabs but think its over kill and hate the fact that they are sealed units. Ie no upgrading, hdd replacing etc down the road.. But i need something aside from my apple cell phone to read ebooks, use XBMC, internet access, word documents etc. I thought the surface tabs where a little pricy and over kill for that. As my main laptop has an i7 it has the power i need. I had also looked at the Asus T102HA-RH01 and specs wise it seems ok. But $550 CAD still seems a tad pricy for what it is. So im wondering wha tare you guys using? I thought an ipad, but it has no USB, no SD for additional storage, and super proprietary.

Thoughts? Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Tablet suggestions....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
This is dictation.
The Microsoft surface Pro is a high-end tablet that has many advanced features. However, whether or not it's the best value for your money is still uncertain. The surface Pro design has been criticized by many as being overpriced and not as versatile as an other tablets.
If you're used to using Windows applications, and if you're more comfortable using fast and responsive applications, then you have a reason to consider the surface Pro.
There are a wide range of tablet computers available, most do not have keyboards and use only the touchscreen.
Here are some of the things you might want in a tablet computer.
Wi-Fi capability with up to class n devices
Bluetooth capability that will allow both a earpiece and the keyboard at the same time. This can be a real neat feature.
A built-in telephone that will allow you to access the 4G LTE networks. When you are outside of the range of a Wi-Fi service, you can use the 4G LTE service to get onto the Internet and access your e-mail and almost anything else.
To my knowledge there is no Microsoft surface Pro that also has a built-in smart phone. For me, that is one of the reasons I would not want to invest that much money in something that will not allow me to have true portable access to the Internet. However, Microsoft might change their position on that that particular point.
The popularity of the android system is because it is both cheap and it has lots of applications. But these applications never have that power and performance of Windows applications running on a Windows desktop or laptop.
In other words, for many the portability is more important than any other issue.
As for myself, if I had the money I'd probably buy a Microsoft surface Pro. But I don't and so I haven't. Instead I make do with the sheep offbrand tablet phone that serves my needs when I need to make phone calls or check messages or otherwise take a look and see what's on the Internet. I can carry from room to room and take it with me and even go to bed with it. I can't do that with my regular size laptop. The standard size laptop I have is just too awkward to use in bed and the battery life is not very long.
My little 10 inch tablet can go for about six hours before I have to recharge it. So I'm more inclined what he. Around with me from room to room rather than my laptop.
In other words, I'm trying to say that even with its high-priced the Microsoft surface Pro is far from being an ideal portable solution.
Also, do not expect to find an Inteli7 CPU in a portable computer. To my knowledge the Intel i7 is a power hog.
That's all I had to say. :)

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 08:41:55 AM »
My first couple of tablets were Android based and I liked them well enough.  However, once I got my first Windows tablet, I no longer had any use/desire for an Android tablet.  I love the fact that I can run the exact same software on my tablet as I do on my desktop and laptop.  I don't need to learn a new email program or a different browser or Office Suite, etc...

The reason many feel that a MS Surface is an expensive tablet is because it's not really a tablet.  It's an Ultrabook that can also double as a tablet.  I personally have a MS Surface Pro 3 and love it but, if you don't need that much power, then there are plenty of lesser cost Windows tablets around. 

I would shy away from a Windows tablet with less than 64GB of storage as those with 16GB or 32GB of storage don't have much storage available as they come from the factory.  Some of this is due to them having a recovery partition that takes up a portion of the available storage.

There are some decent Windows tablets available from Dell, Acer, Asus, etc...  Here's an article with a few to consider: https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-windows-tablets?id=adw&gclid=CjwKEAiAlZDFBRCKncm67qihiHwSJABtoNIgxbyA0kqzv8NcAfB0PTemNZoj9KHn-79rGogkAU-20BoC69vw_wcB

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »
This is dictation.
The Microsoft surface Pro is a high-end tablet that has many advanced features. However, whether or not it's the best value for your money is still uncertain. The surface Pro design has been criticized by many as being overpriced and not as versatile as an other tablets.
If you're used to using Windows applications, and if you're more comfortable using fast and responsive applications, then you have a reason to consider the surface Pro.
There are a wide range of tablet computers available, most do not have keyboards and use only the touchscreen.
Here are some of the things you might want in a tablet computer.
Wi-Fi capability with up to class n devices
Bluetooth capability that will allow both a earpiece and the keyboard at the same time. This can be a real neat feature.
A built-in telephone that will allow you to access the 4G LTE networks. When you are outside of the range of a Wi-Fi service, you can use the 4G LTE service to get onto the Internet and access your e-mail and almost anything else.
To my knowledge there is no Microsoft surface Pro that also has a built-in smart phone. For me, that is one of the reasons I would not want to invest that much money in something that will not allow me to have true portable access to the Internet. However, Microsoft might change their position on that that particular point.
The popularity of the android system is because it is both cheap and it has lots of applications. But these applications never have that power and performance of Windows applications running on a Windows desktop or laptop.
In other words, for many the portability is more important than any other issue.
As for myself, if I had the money I'd probably buy a Microsoft surface Pro. But I don't and so I haven't. Instead I make do with the sheep offbrand tablet phone that serves my needs when I need to make phone calls or check messages or otherwise take a look and see what's on the Internet. I can carry from room to room and take it with me and even go to bed with it. I can't do that with my regular size laptop. The standard size laptop I have is just too awkward to use in bed and the battery life is not very long.
My little 10 inch tablet can go for about six hours before I have to recharge it. So I'm more inclined what he. Around with me from room to room rather than my laptop.
In other words, I'm trying to say that even with its high-priced the Microsoft surface Pro is far from being an ideal portable solution.
Also, do not expect to find an Inteli7 CPU in a portable computer. To my knowledge the Intel i7 is a power hog.
That's all I had to say. :)

Thanks for getting back to me, may i ask what tablet youre using? I dont need 4GLTE as the area that i live, that stuff is WAAAAAAAAAY too overpriced so i cannot even afford that on my cell phone. The comment about the i7 was just saying thats what i run in my laptop, so the goal and purpose of a cheap windows tablet is just a few small tasks so the surface is a tad overkill.

Personally i HATE the idea of a non upgradable PC (like ultra books and tablets) but I could use when when hitting up the gym etc. My main requirements are must have SD card, USB, aux, display out perhaps a keyboard would be nice.. So Im looking around. But retail everything is over $350.

My first couple of tablets were Android based and I liked them well enough.  However, once I got my first Windows tablet, I no longer had any use/desire for an Android tablet.  I love the fact that I can run the exact same software on my tablet as I do on my desktop and laptop.  I don't need to learn a new email program or a different browser or Office Suite, etc...

The reason many feel that a MS Surface is an expensive tablet is because it's not really a tablet.  It's an Ultrabook that can also double as a tablet.  I personally have a MS Surface Pro 3 and love it but, if you don't need that much power, then there are plenty of lesser cost Windows tablets around. 

I would shy away from a Windows tablet with less than 64GB of storage as those with 16GB or 32GB of storage don't have much storage available as they come from the factory.  Some of this is due to them having a recovery partition that takes up a portion of the available storage.

There are some decent Windows tablets available from Dell, Acer, Asus, etc...  Here's an article with a few to consider: https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-windows-tablets?id=adw&gclid=CjwKEAiAlZDFBRCKncm67qihiHwSJABtoNIgxbyA0kqzv8NcAfB0PTemNZoj9KHn-79rGogkAU-20BoC69vw_wcB

The Asus on that list i was looking at in retail. Amazing how retail is more then double the cost than on Amazon. I feel like the Asus would be just fine. My only question would be really how does the USB work? It claims there is 1x USB, 1x USB c, and 1x micro USB. Can i get adapters to use basic USB for the C and micro for like flash drives? Obviously plan to get a 128GB SD card for more storage, but might not need it.

Basically planning on using it as a google Drive office machine, KODI machine, Ereader, (while at the gym) and maybe some youtube and small internet access whilst at work.
$250 CAD doesnt seem bad at all.. Thanks for the suggestions.

Id assume Asus has built a good name for itself. The fear is that i get it, and say something goes wrong (nothings perfect) but at least on a desktop/laptop i can replace ram and HDD. Here is not the case...

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 05:42:44 AM »
My only question would be really how does the USB work? It claims there is 1x USB, 1x USB c, and 1x micro USB. Can i get adapters to use basic USB for the C and micro for like flash drives? Obviously plan to get a 128GB SD card for more storage, but might not need it. ...
Yes there are adapters available to be able to use USB-A devices with a USB-C port.  There are also adapters for microUSB to USB-A.  As far as flash drives, there are ones that have a microUSB connector on 1 end and a USB-A on the other which is very nice for transferring things between devices with either of those ports.

My Surface Pro 3 has 128GB storage on board and I use it with a 128GB microSD card.  That setup works well for me.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:42:08 PM »
...I had also looked at the Asus T102HA-RH01 and specs wise it seems ok. But $550 CAD still seems a tad pricy for what it is...
Look for a used T100.