Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: building a gamer computer  (Read 4060 times)

ichigo1554

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    building a gamer computer
    « on: February 16, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »
    so im getting
    NZXT Source S340 - Miditower - ATX as the case
    MSI GeForceŽ GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G as graphic card
    Core I7-6700K 4 GHz as cpu
    Toshiba X300 - Harddisk - 6 TB as hardisk
    but i dont know of wich motherboard to use any who can recomen some ?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: building a gamer computer
    « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:26:15 PM »
    I like Gigabyte or ASUS for my Intel CPU builds. This Gigabyte board might be a match for what your looking for. There are other more costly boards if you want additional features that this board doesnt have etc. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128972

Your also going to need RAM and DDR4 for this board listed if you go with this one. That CPU supports DDR3 and DDR4, but I would avoid DDR3 and go with DDR4 for a gaming build to avoid performance bottlenecking due to RAM.

Also need a Power Supply and OS for this and monitor, keyboard, and mouse if you dont have those already.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:57:40 PM »
    I would go for decent motherboard, something like these

Z270 GAMING M5

GA-Z270X-Gaming 7

ASUS ROG Strix Z270I Gaming

Any of these would be great but of-course it all comes down to budget.  Also research the HCL for the RAM that you will be getting.  Happy Researching.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »
    Can I ask a question?   :-*
    Why do people buy a motherboard and a CPU + heat sink separately?
    Is there some kind of inerrant advantage of having a virgin motherboard?
    Some vendors sell motherboards with the CPU & heat sink installed and tested.  Is there some reason to avoid that?
    Myself, the next time I build I want to buy togetherness and get the vendor to assure me that they really do work. Am I missing something?
    Togetherness examples:

Amazon: Motherboard with CPU

I just wonder a lot.  8)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 09:07:13 PM »
    Many of the results from your Amazon search are bare motherboards and do not include a CPU.

others are "special" case motherboards for Mini PCs or industrial applications.for example the Gigabyte GA-N3050N GSM PLUS Motherboard & CPU Combo comes with a low-end Celeron N3050, has only two SATA connectors, a single PCI Express slot, etc. and is clearly not aimed at use for a typical desktop PC (the "6 COM Ports" feature seems to suggest perhaps industrial uses?)

Similar story for the ASRock 16GB RAM Motherboard & CPU Combo SO-DIMM NA J3160-ITX; low-end Celeron chip, passive cooling, minimal expansion options- etc.

By retooling the search it was possible to find combos where the two were sold together, but they are not preinstalled- just sold together. For example the Intel Core I7-6700K with ASUS Z170-K Motherboard Bundle goes for $458.63. The Core i7 6700K is $336.89, and the ASUS Z170-K is $122.04. You pay 20 cents more for  the "bundle", and get nothing out of it.

In the cases where you can get it installed, you are looking at eBay computer retailers or Amazon Marketplace sellers who get the two parts, install the CPU, and charge you an additional $20 or so dollars for labourt (and magically thjey have to pay $20 more for shipping).

Basically, the reason people by the Motherboard and CPU+Heat Sink separately is because getting them "together" will either not save you any time nor money, or will cost you money because there will be a labour surcharge added
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 09:11:27 PM »
    Many of the results from your Amazon search are bare motherboards and do not include a CPU.
    Basically, the reason people by the Motherboard and CPU+Heat Sink separately is because getting them "together" will either not save you any time nor money, or will cost you money because there will be a labour surcharge added
    Thanks.  Now I know.  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 09:25:14 PM »
    Can I ask a question?   :-*
    Why do people buy a motherboard and a CPU + heat sink separately?
    Is there some kind of inerrant advantage of having a virgin motherboard?
    Some vendors sell motherboards with the CPU & heat sink installed and tested.  Is there some reason to avoid that?
    Myself, the next time I build I want to buy togetherness and get the vendor to assure me that they really do work. Am I missing something?

I've only bought one brand new combo Motherboard+CPU before. Back in 2010 I got a AMD Sempron X2 2200 2.0 Ghz with Biostar MCP6PB M2+ motherboard for $72.00 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138178

I bought this because it was a bargain at the time for a dual-core system upgrade. I had a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT that had 1.5GB of DDR2-533Mhz RAM which wasnt playing my games so well, and so I was able to swap motherboards and use all my existing guts and this Dual-Core even though just a Sempron ran better than the Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT CPU I had been running, and it was cheaper to go this route vs buying a Intel Core 2 Duo or 2xxx series Pentium Dual-Core CPU for the motherboard I was running.

Other Combo CPU/Motherboards were INTEL ATOM motherboards where the CPU is soldered directly to the motherboard and so there is no adding a CPU it came from INTEL with the INTEL CPU soldered to them. But I bought these boards used vs brand new for $25 each for dual-core ATOM D510 1.66Ghz boards on amazon.

I generally buy my parts separately because I enjoy building it up with all my selection of components vs a bundle deal. Sometimes bundle deals you save money, other times you have to be careful that say that powerful CPU isnt being paired up in a bundle with a crappy quality motherboard.

The other reason why i buy parts separately vs bundles is because most of the time, I have good parts pulled from dead systems and so such as I'd have a CPU I got for FREE that needs a motherboard and so I will just buy the motherboard and so the system would then be built with a brand new motherboard and CPU, RAM, Power Supply, Video Card, and Case from other systems.... so I sort of recycle by putting good components back into use by just getting what is absolutely needed but not waste money on parts I already have on hand that i got free from dead systems that are given my way. So for example for $45 I get a motherboard and in about an hour I have a working computer again when the motherboard arrives.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:39:52 AM »

Reading back on this I realized I forgot to answer one question here... so here is my answer to this:

I would avoid having a motherboard shipped in the mail with a CPU and heatsink installed in the socket of the motherboard as for such as is the case with AMD CPU's that still have pins, the legs in the sockets can move and get shocked by strong G-force from a drop in transit. The female pins in the CPU socket are very delicate and I just feel its a bad idea to have the CPU with heatsink mated to a motherboard and then shipped in which its going to get thrown/bounced around.

I have also seen pictures of CPU's bonded to heatsink ripped from their sockets completely or partially as if someone pried the corner of the CPU up, but it was caused by a drop of some kind in transit. *This being CPUs that legs lock into the socket such as older INTEL and older and modern AMD CPUs in which the CPU can be stuck to the heatsink and if the locking clip(s) break off or unlock, the CPU socket locking arm can be in locked position and its CPU legs torn from the socket potentially damaging the CPU and motherboard.

Additionally I have bought used boards on ebay years ago which came complete CPU/Heatsink/RAM/Motherboard and when the board arrived the heatsink was flopping around in the box and it battered the motherboard when the CPU retainer clip made of plastic and metal snapped when the box took a hard drop or kick like Ace ventura Pet Detectives UPS service. I also bought a used computer and when that arrived I turned it on without looking inside and heard what sounded like a loud power tool. It was the CPU heatsink torn from the motherboard and hanging face down and CPU heatsink fan blades striking the PCI port on the motherboard and case resonated it to make it super loud to the point that i unplugged the power cord from the rear of it fast. I ended up having to replace the socket 478 plastic heatsink plate that is mounted to the motherboard that the 2 retainer clips of the heatsink normally lock to. The plastic was shattered. The case had no other damage and the motherboard was fine, but that heavy copper slug with aluminum heatsink attached by plastic already under tension of clamping pressure to CPU top stood no chance against a G-Force shock of some sort of a drop or kick in transit that sheered it from its locked position on the motherboard. I was lucky that the hard drive wasnt damaged.

I can see the CPU alone being installed and locked into the socket, but the heatsink when at all possible, should remain separate to be connected when the board is no longer going to be subject to the potential G-Force Shock abuse of shipment.

However computers are shipped every day and many of them arrive without damage from transit. I suppose it comes down to roulette ... some will get through and be fine and others will be damaged, but my preference is to not have the heavy heatsink attached during transit when buying parts to build my own. If they are shipped not connected together there is less possibility of damage in transit from a shock of force in transit.

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
    You may also want to wait 9 days for the new AMD Ryzen range to release. You may be paying over the odds or for soon to be outdated hardware otherwise.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 01:09:18 PM »
    This is humor...correct ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 01:32:23 PM »
    Either humour or rumour.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-how-amds-ryzen-will-disrupt-the-cpu-market
    It's been 11 years since Intel released its first Core 2 Duo processors and a decade since the arrival of the epoch-making Core 2 Quad. It's been a period of complete domination, with multiple AMD architectures failing to break Intel's monopoly on the x86 market. But within weeks, the red team's Ryzen line will be with us, new leaks are arriving by the day and they all tell us the same thing - the price to performance ratio looks astonishing.

I am not going to hold my breath...   :-X

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »
    Ryzen is definitely promising, The Ryzen 7 1700X is shown to perform comparably to a i7 6900K; outperforming it in many areas, especially multi-threaded scenarios, with the advantages of the i7 being only very slight speed improvements with single-threaded performance. Considering the Ryzen's significantly reduced price point, though, it's worth considering  a short delay to assess it's viability.

On the other hand, if you wait a bit longer, Intel CPUs may start dropping in price in face of the new competition as well.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 03:00:45 PM »
    On the other hand, if you wait a bit longer, Intel CPUs may start dropping in price in face of the new competition as well.
    That would be a reason to wait. If AMD presents a  real threat to the Intel profit margin, the prices will come down.  :)