Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 system recovery stuck  (Read 3668 times)

hellotherefriend

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows 10 system recovery stuck
    « on: February 16, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »
    So I just got my new ASUS ROG Strix yesterday and today, foolishly enough, I tried to download a video game torrent. It turned out to contain some malware, which my anti-virus detected and I asked for my anti-virus to put the malicious files in quarantine-mode (or whatever it's called). Anywho, right as I did that, I went for the system recovery and chose "remove all files and wipe the computer" option. Everything worked fine up until now, the recovery has been stuck at 34% for about an hour. All it says is "recovering this PC 34%", with the dots spinning around. So the screen isn't entirely frozen (dots are moving around, indicating the machine is working) but it's been stuck on 34%.

Worth mentioning is that my machine has an SSD (128gb) and HDD (1tb) and the game I downloaded was in my D: drive, i.e. on my HDD.

Please, help! I'm afraid I've ruined my machine for good, is that the case?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 10 system recovery stuck
    « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:10:01 PM »
    Ancient Proverb:
    'Chang say never torrent on New PC."  ::)

You will have to turn off the machine and restart it.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 10 system recovery stuck
    « Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:16:08 PM »
    Interrupting the process would be bad. A friends HP laptop for example took almost 20 hours to complete. Yes it definitely shouldnt take that long it should take less than an hour but I wouldnt rush powering down the computer.

If its still at 34% the next day then something is messed and its hung. At this point a hard shutdown could be performed. But your system might not boot to Windows. If you dont have or havent made a system recovery set for the computer then you would have to contact ASUS and see if they can mail you the recovery media under warranty. I wouldnt tell them that you got infected with anything as for that puts the fault into you. Id just say that things didnt seem right and so you decided to do a factory reset and then it got hung at 34% and wouldnt go any further. They will either send the recovery media to you or swap your computer out for a replacement.

Stay away from torrents... They are bad news when downloading games that should cost money that are cracked.