Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gaming Laptop Are Bettter OR PC  (Read 15756 times)

abanghasan

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Gaming Laptop Are Bettter OR PC
    « on: February 18, 2017, 07:58:39 PM »
    HI guys,, i need yout guys opinion here, im planing to buy a gaming laptop msi ge62 it is come with

Windows 10
    Intel Core i7-6700HQ (Skylake)
    15.6 Full HD eDP Wide View Angle
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970M 3GB
    SteelSeries Programmable Full Color Backlit
    1TB SATA HDD 7200RPM
    12GB DDR4 2133MHz

but my friend told me to build a custom pc he said it would be better, than a gaming laptop, please submit your opinion here, thank you very much

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Gaming Laptop Are Bettter OR PC
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:33:39 PM »
    Gaming Laptops are somewhat overrated. They are typically non-upgradable, or if there are upgrades, they are either limited or proprietary. for example, you'd never be able to upgrade that to a GTX 1070. Further, they heavily compromise battery life for performance; that laptop get's a little over 3 hours of battery life with medium usage; and only 2 if actually using it for playing Games. Comapre that to the 10 hours I get on my Thinkpad T550 and you can see the heavy compromises made in the name of "Gaming".

Not to say there isn't a reason to ever get one, just that it's a weird niche because the "top-end" changes so frequently that even today in some ways that system is out of date. Eventually the laptop will be "old tech" and you'll still be left with it's limitations like poor battery life, which will get worse as it ages as well.

With a desktop you lose the portability (which even if just symbiotic with AC outlets, is still an advantage) but  you get a more industry standard configuration which you can not only upgreade but even think ahead to future upgrades. Eg- if you get a 970, you can upgrade later to a 1070; if you get a 1070, you can upgrade to some new nvidia or AMD graphics card that is better in the future; if you get 2 8GB sticks of RAM for a motherboard with 4 RAM slots, you can later slap in another 2 8GB sticks to max it out to 32GB, etcand these upgrades tend to be more affordable for a desktop system even where they are possible for a laptop.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »
    If you don't need it to be portable, a desktop is almost certainly a better option.  You can upgrade basically any component so it's unlikely you'll need to replace the entire machine a few years down the line, you can just upgrade parts that need to be upgraded.  With a laptop you are usually limited to upgrading the drives and RAM, you're extremely limited when it comes to upgrading the CPU and video card.  A desktop will also tend to perform better as the components in laptops (even gaming ones) are designed to use limited power and to not produce much heat so that they can work in a laptop.

That said, if you need it to be portable, then a laptop is your only option.  Although, if you don't need gaming performance on the go, you may want to consider building a good desktop for gaming then getting a more basic laptop for when you need portability.  This also has the advantage of the laptop being smaller and lighter with better battery life than a gaming laptop would be (gaming laptops tend to be large and heavy with very poor battery life).

abanghasan

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 04:33:33 AM »
      i'll choose for pc because we can update our hardware, and also save more cost than a high end gaming laptop, and pc if disrepair wa can easily repair it again, but notebook if we want to repair it will be more expensive than pc, so i choose pc for gaming and work.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »
      i'll choose for pc because we can update our hardware, and also save more cost than a high end gaming laptop, and pc if disrepair wa can easily repair it again, but notebook if we want to repair it will be more expensive than pc, so i choose pc for gaming and work.

Thats the direction I would go is with the gaming desktop tower computer that can do all. I have a desktop computer that has Motherboard/CPU/RAM from 2009 which today 8 years later with a newer GeForce GT 730 video card is able to play newer titles with ok 30-60fps frame rate, but if it didnt have this video card upgrade ability it would have been stuck with the nVidia nForce 430 chipsets integrated video of a GeForce 6150SE GPU which is extremely weak to todays standards, and I have removed the video card before to see just how bad it is and World of Warcraft for example warns me that the GPU is weak and I get 2 frames per second on the 6150SE with 256MB Shared Memory. While I get 30-60fps with the GeForce GT 730!

I have quite a few laptops that the whole reason why they are junk for gaming and I was given them for free is because the GPU's are not upgradeable, while the CPU is plenty of processing for the games. I have been given costly when new Toshiba Qosmio laptops and other gaming laptops when people get frustrated that the performance fell short with games that evolved and were updated to more complex graphics needs or new titles that call for more GPU processing power.  Gaming laptops if playing the same games that never change are fine, but if your playing games that evolve and introducing newer games to it, you will only get about 3 good years out of it before it starts to show its starting to lose the battle with the GPU needs of the games for higher frame rates. The other issue with laptops is that they act like vacuum cleaners and fill with dust and lint and can be difficult to clean, whereas desktop computers are far easier and safer to clean. Overheating is the leading cause of component death and is usually because dust builds up and clogs heatsinks as well as I have seen a single strand of hair somehow make its way into a laptop and get wound up around a CPU fan and lock it up tight from spinning. I have yet to see this happen in a desktop computer with larger cooling fans, although the one clients desktop brought to be because it was slow due to thermal throttling that was on the floor where the golden lab (dog) slept came in close with the fact that the front panel of the computer was packed with dog hair that when I removed the plastic front panel face from the case the computer had a yellow and white beard.  ;D :o ::)

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 04:20:24 AM »
        gaming laptops have come a long way but in the end pc's are better in terms of gaming. they give you bigger screen, better sound, better video and graphics. They can Handle the heavy games better than laptops.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/gaming-laptops-have-come-a-long-time-but-desktops-still-reign-supreme/

This article compares the two. Though it is a little old, the point still stands.

Ryan90

• Hunt Laptop
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 12:48:16 AM »
        Like other members said, you need to compromise your battery life in a gaming laptop to play games. If you are okay with that you'll get used to or else go for a gaming pc or build a custom one.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 10:55:42 AM »
        For what it is worth, here is a recent article about gaining laptops from a source many people believe; Engadget.

Best and worst gaming laptop brands 2017
        Choosing the right notebook is hard, but selecting the perfect gaming laptop is even more challenging. In addition to specs like the processor, graphics card and storage drives, you need to consider the special sauce that each manufacturer adds to its systems in the form of design, software, keyboards and even warranty coverage
        There is a video that covers 9 brands.  ;D
        MSI comes in second.  8)

Jamesdaniel

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 01:19:21 AM »
          From my point of view gaming laptop don't worth the money. Laptop is useful for causual work not for gaming also they are quite expensive comparing to gaming PC also you cannot upgrade it. On the other side gaming PC are cheaper than gaming laptop and comes with future  upgrade  option. The only laptop beats PC is mobility but I prefer to play games in my room not when roaming around.
          The conclusion is that go with gaming PC.

harberg

Starter

• shroud csgo settings
          « Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 11:49:53 PM »
          I agree with your friend and the others, it would be wise to build a custom pc than an over price laptop which will give you a pain after a year, laptop is good yes for portability and for decent gaming but for a long run I will still go for PC for the fact that you can upgrade it and it there's something wrong you can troubleshoot it and replace the parts.

Sash12

Starter

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 12:22:14 PM »
            MSI GS65 Stealth and Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501 pretty good for gaming purposes. I personally have second one. But the one you choose is good too.

jordanspace

Greenhorn
              « Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 07:26:07 AM »
              If you are ready to always play permanently, then the PS of course will be more profitable to take, because it is easier to upgrade and maintain. But the laptop will become obsolete with time and you will be able to update only the hard drive and RAM, well, maybe the processor can be very confused.

SamSimon

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 06:30:08 PM »
                Well it depends on your budget. Today you can get a decent gaming laptop for a good price, less than $500. For example I got the Acer Aspire E 15 from Amazon 6 months ago, and it's been a beast for just $300. For ppl with higher budget I think MSI GV62 can be a good option.

rosbert

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 09:17:30 AM »
                  You can also buy a less expensive laptop and then get an external graphics card for improved gaming experience.
                  i7 6800k, GTX 1080, 32GB ram | atturo