Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tablet won't accept wi-fi password  (Read 5802 times)

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

Tablet won't accept wi-fi password
    « on: February 23, 2017, 12:32:22 AM »
    I purchased a Memorex MTAB-07530A 7" Crystal Pad tablet.  Android OS (I don't know which version).  When I try to connect to my home wi-fi (other devices connect w/password just fine), the Connect button is still grayed out/won't work when I type in the password.  I double-checked that the password was entered correctly, but the Connect button is still grayed out.  I tried a different tablet and connected with no problem.  I also reset the Memorex tablet to factory defaults--still no button.  Tried skipping that step and of course--get a failure message.  Signal strength is not a problem.  There is no user manual with this tablet, only a quick start guide, which doesn't even include the password step.  Am I missing something?  This is my first go-round with Android--I'm a Windows user with everything else.  Let me know if you need more info, and thanks in advance for any tips/advice you can give.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Tablet won't accept wi-fi password
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »
    Is airplane mode enabled... if so turn airplane mode off. I bought a cheapie 7" tablet on black friday for $29.99 normally a $49.99 tablet Emerson brand and it came from factory with airplane mode enabled and I had to shut that off to get the ability to connect to wifi.

The other thing i ran into is that it doesnt seem to support WEP 128-bit so I had to connect to my second router that uses WPA2 to get onto wifi. I tried typing the long WEP key into the password box of the tablet and it didnt connect and it doesnt have ability to specify using WEP-128 bit which is old but what most of my stuff is connected to is WEP-128-bit. I have 2 wireless routers on the same internet connection because I was running into issues with too many devices on wireless competing. I am able to load balance with the 2 routers. The WPA2 protected wireless is mainly for the Roku and for devices picky with not wanting to use WEP-128 bit

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 12:56:30 AM »
      Thanks Dave.  As far as I can tell, I've turned off airplane mode.  I have a standard-issue 2-wire router from my ISP, and it is running the WPA/WPA2, nothing higher.  It has a Device Access Code, a Wireless Network Key, and a "network password".  The "network password" is quite short, the W.N.K. is quite long.  When I tried both the W.N.K. and the network password, it seemed like with the password, the device was waiting for more characters.  With the W.N.K., it showed a connection failure.  I'm sitting less than 2' from the router, so I doubt there is a reception problem, and the router is nowhere near capacity.  I'll double-check the mode setting; should I also reset it back to factory default before I try again?  (or chuck it into the street in frustration)
      Regards,
      sev

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 05:47:31 AM »
      I'd bring the tablet someplace that has free wifi to test it on another wireless network. Restaurants for example sometimes have open wifi. Lets see if it will connect to a wireless network that is wide open without making your own home network wide open. This will then determine if the tablet is even capable of a handshake with a wireless network or not, maybe its radio is messed up and its incapable of connecting to any network in which you could chase your tail on a secured network thinking that its something with password and its really something wrong with tablet. The Memorex brand tablet is a lost cost questionable quality device. So Im suggesting it be tested with another wireless network. Additionally if a friends network other than the one you have been working with could also be used that is secured and try using their password. ... Once you find what works from what doesnt you will have a better direction to go with this. From the sounds of it even though your experience with android is new, from reading what i have read in your info here it sounds like your able to get the device connected if the device is willing to handshake with wireless router and password is correct.

btw... when connecting to an free wifi network, sometimes after it shows connected you need to open the browser and agree to terms and conditions for the wireless network that your connecting to. If a hotel etc, sometimes you need to get the daily or weekly passkey/password to connect it it. Other times its just accepting terms and conditions of the free connection.

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:10 PM »
        I did go to a public wi-fi spot and it logged on just fine.  So maybe I'm misinterpreting my definitions?  Is a "wireless network key" the same/equivalent to a "password"?   On my router, it lists  the SSID # (I know what that is); a Wireless Network Key; and on the website it lists my "network password", which is only six or seven characters.  The Network Key is like 9 or 10 characters. 

I suppose my next step would be to call the support # and {sigh} wait---to talk to a human.  Before I do that, I'll wait for your reply.   Thanks for your help and patience with this problem; and yup, I probably got what I paid for:  save $ to create more frustration.   ::)
        Regards,
        sv7

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:51:15 PM »
        the wifi password is the wireless network key. They are always 8 characters or longer. If the "network password" is shorter than who knows what it's for. Perhaps it's the password for the router's control panel?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 12:40:23 AM »
           Success!!   After using the reset button and two more tries, it finally accepted the Network Key!  Thank you to Dave & BC for your help, patience, definitions, etc..  Much appreciated.  Now I can go on to other frustrations...

Regards,
          sv7

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 09:14:48 AM »
          Now I can go on to other frustrations...

Good to hear and hopefully no more frustrations.  ;D

My daughter had troubles connecting her tablet to my parents wireless the other day and I thought back to your issue you had thinking maybe there was something similar. But the issue we have with her tablet is something funky with her grandparents dual-band router where she can only see the 2.4Ghz band because the tablet only supports up to that 2.4Ghz and not the 5Ghz band and the password that works for everyone on the 5Ghz with their android smart phones that support the 5Ghz band doesnt work for the 2.4Ghz band. BTW not hijacking this thread with this issue, I already have a thread open on this in the Networking portion.  ;D If anyone comes across this comment and wants to assist with it, please dont add to this thread, but instead follow the link to other thread here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,159985.msg959476.html#new