Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Noise  (Read 2500 times)

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • My pal Sharky
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Hard Drive Noise
    « on: February 23, 2017, 10:00:44 PM »
    The hard drive on my desk top computer has started making very quiet little "tics" or "chirps" as it is activated to locate something.

I have just completed a complete backup (Win 7) to discs (5).

Computer is Systemax SYX, over 5 years old.

Think about new hard drive? Think about whole new computer?

Suggestions please.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hard Drive Noise
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:14:48 PM »
    This is dictation.
    Here are some quick suggestions that might be of some help to you. Is more likely that one of the fans inside your computer could start to make noise before the hard drive fails. Hard drive manufacturers a very conscious set up noises from their drives and they make every effort possible. Use the acoustic noise level of their hard drives. Cancer and much less costly to replace then the hard drive, so you should consider first the possibility of an only being a fan that is starting to wear. But even a fan that has worn bearings can still last a long time if you're willing to accept the noise level.
    Another consideration is the buildup of dust bunnies. That term is used to refer to the accumulations of dust that sometimes can make noise or otherwise interfere with the cooling system in your computer. Dust is one of the things that contributes to the wear and tear on the fans. Your computer probably has three different fans. One on the CPU itself, another on the power supply and the third is for the entire chassis. You did say your computer was a desktop.
    Now about the hard drive. You may have to open the case of your desktop and examine it while it is running. Of course, you need to be very careful about running the computer with the cover off. There is a danger dropping something into the computer and it would do a lot of damage. What you want to do is try to identify the source of the noise. I'm guessing it's going to be found with one of the fans and not the hard drive. However, if it really is the hard drive, then you need to make a backup of your entire system as soon as possible. A backup hard drive unit is only a fraction of the cost of what you paid for your computer when new. And having a backup can save you a loss of time trying to recover information that could be lost. In fact, hard drive for coverage is not as easy as you think it should be. In some cases a hard drive failure can be catastrophic with practically no warning.
    Sorry if that sounds frightening, but from my own experience with hard drives I've learned that you have to have a backup plan. You must have a backup of your important personal material as well is having some way of restoring the operating system to its normal state.
    So that is the best I can do for your at this moment. Bear in mind I have to do this with voice-recognition software, so you might see some very strange and on grammar expressions are words that the computer didn't understand. Just remember, computers are not perfect. Microphone off
    End of dictation.   :)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:25:43 AM »
    You can ignore the nonsense in the post above.

If your hd is "ticking" it is likely the first sign of impending failure. Be sure to back up all critical data.

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • My pal Sharky
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:24:03 PM »
      OK, I'm all backed up to DVD's, and I've made a decision to buy a new desktop.

Boy does that open a "can of worms".

Question: Will a desktop PC, from one of the gaming manufacturers, make a good all-a-round unit for a retired P. Eng.?  ???

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 03:53:34 PM »
      I have no idea - you have to determine your needs and what suits you. Personally, I would never buy a computer from anyone other than a "name" manufacturer (ie, Dell, HP, etc).

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:05:12 PM »
      Question: Will a desktop PC, from one of the gaming manufacturers, make a good all-a-round unit for a retired P. Eng.?

I agree with Allan on going with a name brand system. As far as a gaming system, that doesnt necessarily make it better for longevity if thats what you are looking at it for. The fan bearings on say a video card etc are still subject the same lifetime of a regular off the shelf computer. It all comes down to what you will be doing with this computer. If its just to stream content and surf the web then a Intel Core i3 or i5 would be plenty. If your going to game then you will want a gaming system. If your still engineering on the side and using software for designing and running simulations for calculating points of stress and strain on a structure for load balancing of a structural design etc then you would want a Core i7 that can handle the extra mathematics involved in running software that is CPU hungry. ( wasnt sure what P stood for in P. Engineer to relate to your background in example here )