Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Word Question  (Read 2933 times)

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Word Question
    « on: February 28, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »
    In my Microsoft Word I am suddenly getting some kind of "autofit" thing going on. The words seem to be adjusting their spacing or something when I reach the end of a sentence. It was doing that before. I think I hit a key on my keyboard, like ctrl, instead of shift and now this thing is happening. I was just trying it and what it does when I get to the end of the sentence the space between just two letters shifts,as I can see to make make each sentence at the same place and the end of each sentence. So my question is how did I turn this on and how do I shut it off. I looked up autofit on the web but it wasn't what I was looking for, I may have been calling it the wrong thing.

Thanks

EricA.

Rookie
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Word Question
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:36:17 PM »
    Try clicking on the little arrow on the bottom right of the paragraph section and setting those settings to default. Does that change anything? If not would you mind attaching some screenshots, its not very clear what you mean by spacing.
    "Tertiary Cobol = Heirthingamies right?" -Quantos

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »
      Maybe I said it wrong. What I mean is usually in a sentence when it gets to the edge of the page it moves to the next line and that edge of the page the sentences are uneven, don't end at the same spot. But now no matter how many words or letters in the sentence that edge of the page is the same spot, an even line down the side the page. I think it's a margin issue on the right side of the page and I don't know how to change. You can see on my first post and this one that the words at the right edge of the page don't stop at the same place, one is longer, another is shorter. The spacing thing it is doing is that when the sentence gets to the right edge of the page and moves down to the next line Word is spacing the words so the right side of the page is even, unlike this post. If this post was in my document all the last letters of each line would all the way to the right edge of the page (except this line).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »
      Press Ctrl-J to disable Text Justification of a paragraph.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

EricA.

Rookie
      « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »
      Oh so it is hyphenating word instead of just bringing the word down to the next line and keeping it together?

EricA.

Rookie
      « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »
      Welp I see what you mean. Go with what BC_Programmer said.

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 06:35:49 PM »
        Yes BC that worked. I thought it had to do with accidentally hitting the Ctrl key, I must have hit that and the J key. Hitting Ctrl-J effected only one paragraph at a time. I suppose I could have highlighted the whole problem section and then hit Ctrl-J.

Thanks for the help.