Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Intellwill improve CPU upgrade plan.  (Read 5550 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Intellwill improve CPU upgrade plan.
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:51:04 AM »
Is this news? Well, if the really do it. it is good news from DIY users.
Up to now trying to understand the Intel upgrade path was a labyrinth.
Now they say the CPU upgrade path will make sense to the individual user who just wants to improve what h has without the need for a new motherboard.
Here is the story:
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/615082/intel-will-change-its-approach-pc-chip-upgrades/
Maybe this really is an earth-shaking change for Intel. Others have picked up the same story  and put there own spin on it:
https://article.wn.com/view/2017/03/01/Intel_will_change_its_approach_to_PC_chip_upgrades/
n the meanwhile, Intel will speed up its modem development so it can transition to 5G quickly. Intel is looking to grow in the communications market, while giving a lower priority to PCs, a market that has flattened. The company was showing off its new modems at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona this week.
Intel used to deliver two generations of PC chips with each manufacturing process node, but that changed with its recent 14-nanometer process.
Shall I hold my breath? :-X
EDIT: Above quote is from InfoWorld. http://www.infoworld.com/article/3175805/computers/intel-will-change-its-approach-to-pc-chip-upgrades.html#tk.rss_news
Comments?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Intellwill improve CPU upgrade plan.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »
What I read from the article is that  their "changes" involve having newer chips actually run faster than their predecessors, which was, interestingly, not actually a given previously. This is probably a response to the release of AMD's Ryzen pretty much completely obliterating them in pretty much every single possible way. How far "We've decided to stop gouging you for non-upgrades" will actually get Intel? well that's another question. That they've already plummeted their pricing suggests that they were intentionally pricing their product with an excessive margin merely because they could, which doesn't tend to encourage consumer goodwill, even if it is "just business".
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »
Now they say the CPU upgrade path will make sense to the individual user who just wants to improve what h has without the need for a new motherboard.

How you arrived at this conclusion is waay beyond me...and you should stop mis-interpreting News articles here.

I seriously doubt a 10nm chip is gonna work in existing Gen7 MBoards...

Quit doin news.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 08:02:39 PM »
How you arrived at this conclusion is waay beyond me...and you should stop mis-interpreting News articles here.

I seriously doubt a 10nm chip is gonna work in existing Gen7 MBoards...

Quit doin news.
I never said a 10 nm was to go on any current mobo.
Patio, my remark is based on what they said about more generations on a node.
Intel is changing its view on how it upgrades chips.
Rather than tying chip upgrades directly to the manufacturing process involved, Intel will look at delivering a sustained set of performance upgrades with each new chip architecture.
"We're going to be focused more on the generation by the amount of performance increment it will give us," said Venkata Renduchintala, president of Intel's Client and Internet of Things businesses and its Systems Architecture Group. "I don't think generations will be tagged to node transitions."

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 11:04:31 PM »
Nodes or not your statement was total bunk...
See what i quoted.
Your tryin to interpret their manuf. process being simplified and equate it to the end user not having to replace a MBoard for a chip upgrade which as i stated total Bunk...and a misrepresentation of the article...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 03:16:12 PM »
Nodes or not your statement was total bunk...
See what i quoted.
Your tryin to interpret their manuf. process being simplified and equate it to the end user not having to replace a MBoard for a chip upgrade which as i stated total Bunk...and a misrepresentation of the article...
I respectfully disagree.
From the article, the intent of Intel is to offer more incremental upgrades to CPUs without the need to re-do the whole motherhood. This is to please markets other than DIY PC-Gamers. Intel is looking at telecoms and data centres and related IT industries for upgrading CPUs rather that buying better mother boards. Such  would be attractive. Sell more CPUs, less chipsets. So the IT centre, not the computer maker, would buy more  from Intel.
Now  if Intel really does have a new incremental and economical upgrade path to favor CPU upgrade over motherboard upgrade, it may filter down to be a plus for DIY PC hobby people.
I did not mean to say Intel was wanting to target the small DIY audience. No, rather, an incremental upgrade path would benefit everybody, not just the large users in telecom and IT industries.
Does that make sense? :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:29:27 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
I don't see how that follows from the articles, myself. There is no mention of sticking with the same socket; the manufacturing process (14nm) being the same for the new chip doesn't necessarily mean it can be dropped into a LGA 1151 socket.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.