Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Home Network Setup 2 routers QUESTION  (Read 3048 times)

Arotin

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Home Network Setup 2 routers QUESTION
    « on: March 01, 2017, 01:37:10 PM »
    Hello guys!,

Just in advance im sorry for my limited expertise with networking, i know the basics tho...

So the issue i have which i am hoping someone can shed some light on..
    I want to have 2 routers, each with either own vlan, and i want one router to be able to talk the other but not vise versa,

So my Main router (192.168.1.1) is connected to the modem,
    I want to get a second router and connect it to my main router,
    The second router i want to have its own vlan (192.168.2.1)

Now that part is pretty easy, here is where i am in over my head

I want the computers on my Main router, to be able to access the ones on the second router... like ping, RDP, ETC
    BUT -  i dont want the computers on the second router to have access to the ones on the main router.....

Is this possible?

Thank you guys!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Home Network Setup 2 routers QUESTION
    « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 02:06:56 PM »
    Reilly, that is a very good question. First, I admit I don't know how to do it. Just putting two routers together almost always means everybody can see everybody.

Somebody else here can give you the exact  answer.

Meanwhile, here is what comes to my mind. Let's say all computers in you location are using a recent version of Windows. Windows 7,8 or 10 all have options to set permissions for users on the network. Even on the same network. Therefore one could decide the PCs into two groups. One group of captains and the other lackeys. So the higher can see the lower, but not the other way.

But that would not be a part of the router function. You want to do it with the two routers. One router for the upper group and one router for the lower group.

Maybe somebody here knows how to do it the way you want.

EDIT: Here s a possible item of interest.:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001062.htm
    How to access a home network router setup or console.
    If you are using multiple routers in your network setup, make sure you know the IP address of the specific router you want to access. If this isn't the router you're currently connected to, you can try performing a traceroute.

Arotin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:16:25 PM »
      That would work but unfortunately because of what i want this setup for it wont...

So on my second network(second router) i am going to have a work lab... windows server, windows machines, etc... and i dont want that temporary windows server to mess around with my routers DHCP/DNS which is setup a certain way...

So wat i was trying to do is have a second router with a different subnet, that way its two seperate networks and both have access to the internet....

now the reason i need the computers on my main router to be able to access the ones on the second is because of vsphere hypervisor... and the way i can connect to it is with a client software that is on a computer which is on the main router...

i know this is VERY hard to explain properly lol.... sigh im tired zzz

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:52:27 PM »
      Yeah, I see what yu mean. You might try the forums and supportfor major network hardware makers.
      CISCO
      https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/5991/wan-routing-and-switching
      Also:
        DELL
        HP
        INTEL
        Microsoft
      All above fore free help on user forums.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 04:19:14 PM »
      You could definitely set up a second router to isolate it but then you have to deal with double NAT.etc which isn't nice, especially if you ever want to open something on one of the servers up to the outside world or even to the "main" network.

Personally I'd look into replacing your current router with something with support for VLANS and more advanced firewalling features to allow you to operate completely separate networks.  You could use something like PFSense or VyOS along with suitable hardware in order to acomplish this.  Alternatively, if you want more of an out of the box type machine, MikroTik do various competitively priced routers which include their RouterOS which supports everything you would need to accomplish this.  One of Ubiquiti's routers would also be a reasonably good and well priced option.

Personally I run VyOS on a machine that was originally sold as a load balancer appliance (Celestix Scorpio-X CLB 4000).  I have this configured so that I have different subnets for my PCs, my server stuff and then a guest network (mainly because I can).  This is configured over a mix of VLANs (combined with a managed switch and a VLAN capable access point) as well as physically separate interfaces on the router itself.  I am then able to set up nice firewall rules such as allowing my PC to talk to the servers but limit what stuff on my PC the server is allowed to talk to.  Admittedly my network is completely overkill but it exists mainly because I enjoy playing with this sort of stuff!

Arotin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »
        Thank you camerongray,

Yeah it seems like thats the way i need to go, i will look into this and pick one out... one step towards building a solid home lab so i can teach myself the things i need to.... worth the money imo

Anyway thank you both for the replies!