Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Icons not opening  (Read 3448 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Icons not opening
    « on: March 09, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
    I generally use Mozilla as my browser which is opening up fine, but need to go to IE and it won't open. I noticed the problem last week also when I clicked on the itunes icon. The small circle would rotate a few times and nothing would happen. Clicking on the Mozilla icon is working fine. What should I check/do next? Running Windows 7 on HP

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Icons not opening
    « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »
    What icons ? ?...Do you mean desktop shortcuts ? ?
    If so the spinnin circle with no results points to a Win or HDD issue...
    How much free space is on this hard drive ? ?
    Run chkdsk /r on the drive from a command prompt
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:56:30 AM »
      Yes, the desktop shortcuts were not responding. I needed to get to IE so I did a system restore to last checkpoint last month and now it is working. Unfortunately not sure if able to troubleshoot now. I see I have 11.7 GB usable Ram, where do I find HD free space? With the defrag options? Also to run chkdsk /r, is this something I do in safe mode or in the start menu search box? Is this something I would hold off on for right now since things are working?

EricA.

Rookie
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »
      In the start menu search box type in CMD and right click it and hit run as administrator. A black command prompt box will appear and patio wants you to run the "chkdsk /r" in that box. And id still do it just to make sure the problem doesnt come back.
      "Tertiary Cobol = Heirthingamies right?" -Quantos