Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost Facebook Chatbox  (Read 2005 times)

mldave

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Lost Facebook Chatbox
    « on: March 13, 2017, 05:17:07 AM »
    My Facebook chatbox and the gear icon to change it's settings are gone I have a Dell Vostro 200 32 bit Windows Vista and use Google,not Google chrome.How do I get this feature back..thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Lost Facebook Chatbox
    « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
    Try a different browser install like Firefox and see if the feature comes back.

mldave

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 04:59:14 AM »
      Well I didn't find a solution,but did find a simple way to get onto my chat again on my outdated Dell with Windows Vista and Internet Explorer 9.Right in front of my eyes on the top of my Facebook page is a yellow bar that allows a person to go to basic Facebook..press that and you've a different format but can chat and send/receive messagesThanks for the previous reply.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 08:29:22 AM »
      Interesting to learn that Facebook has backwards ( legacy ) browser compatibility. Glad you found a solution and thank you for getting back to us with a Basic FaceBook work around option.  :)

*If you want to ever use the latest up to date Facebook without using the Basic Facebook page, I have a strong feeling a install of Firefox would allow support for all modern web pages.

mldave

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 04:08:23 PM »
        Thanks for the info DaveLembke.Even after many years I'm still not very savy on the computor.This Dell vostro 200 has many bugs and I haven't even had a firewall for a few years.Can't access firewall and some other features.I do have a basic free Avast and perhaps that gives the computor some protection.Seems I cannot upgrade past Internet Explorer 9.I'm reluctant to try to change things as I don't have the money for a new computor or repairs if I mess things up.Facebook forums or the help boxes are basically of no help.Just was lucky to try the Facebook basic and there it was in front of my face all the time.Hundreds of people asked a similar question on Facebook forums and help and other computor help forums and no one mentioned going to the Facebook basic.