Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 8452 times)

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    Help!
    « on: March 19, 2017, 10:09:59 AM »
    I am using my tablet to write this because my desktop pc has been out of commision b/c apparently windows 10 has been scanning and repairing my disc errors and c drive. This has been going on since yesterday afternoon. What should I do? This is getting ridiculous!
    Thanks
    breadcrumb
    Call me "Breadcrumb". I'm certainly crummy at computer stuff!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help!
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
    Press power button and see if it will shutdown after a few minutes. If this doesnt work then hold in power button until computer turns off, wait 15 seconds and turn it back on. It will either fix this or you will have it start up with problems. Do you have the system recovery media available if it boots with further problems?

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
      I did  what you advised and it starts doing the same thing as soon as it powers back on! It continues to say scaning and repairing drive (C):
      I also unplugged the pc and tried to restart it that way and the same problem persists! :P
      Thanks for any more advice you may have.
      BC

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »
        I am afraid that I know nothing about how to do special operations on the pc. I am ignorant to the last degree! I was told to press F8 when the pc loads up and I did that and a message came up saying I could skip the disk scan. So I did and the pc acted like it was trying to normalize, but then it was sooooo slow and it would not bring up my printer icon. I tried to go online but it was too slow and wouldn;t do anything more than halfway load up. I guess I will have to pay a pc tech to get it going again! :(
        Thanks everyone for trying to help me!
        BC

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 12:30:39 PM »
        First of all, you med to provide some special details.
        When did you buy this computer?
        What is the brand?
        Is it a desktop or laptop?
        Can you find the model number?
        Do you have anybody nearby that can help you?

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »
          My desktop pc is a Dell optiplex 755. I bought it as a refurbished computer a few years ago from walmart.com. It has been a good pc for me as I ddo not do much but email, FB, and ebay online. I have a friendly acquaintance whois a tech, but he still charges me, although he is reasonable as techs go. he won;t be available until Thursday. In the meantime, I am missing my pc a lot! Thanks for the inquiry. It means a lot!
          BC
          PS-I do not want to sound like my friend should service my pc for free. i would pay him anyway.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 07:34:43 PM »
          From your descriptions (it hangs while doing a disk check, slow while using it) it sounds to me like the Hard Disk is failing.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 10:32:04 PM »
            Is a hard  disk expensive to fix?
            Thanks,
            BC

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 10:48:55 PM »
            Here s a you tube video of interest:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNGeNeUDtpw
            You might be able to do it yourself.

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 11:36:47 AM »
              Thank you so much, but I do not trust myself to do it right! I'll leave it to you experts!
              Where is the place you buy hard drives? Best Buy? I don't know.
              BC

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »
              Where is the place you buy hard drives? Best Buy? I don't know.
              Yes, Best Buy and numerous other places such as OfficeMax/Office Depot, Staples, and Target.  They can also be purchased from numerous online sellers; I doubt you buy things online, so I won't list them.  Let us know if you want to know some online sources.

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
                Thanks so much! I do shop online, but will be in a hurry to get it fixed ASAP, so will hopefully buy locally.
                BC

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 10:01:51 PM »
                The Dell 755 s an older machine tghat has a limit on the drive capoacity. So don't let a salesman talk yu into buying a hughe hard drive with a huge,  huge ammount  stgapce.
                Presently I am using a 745, the prior model, and I am very happy with a 500 GB drive.  The 755 takes a internal tandard SATA hard drive.
                You can also find them at some Wlamart stores.
                Look here:
                https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=750%20GB%20seagatre
                I prefere Seagate. You can save some money by getting a refurbished hard drive with warrenty.
                This Certified Refurbished product is tested & certified by Seagate to work like-new. The product includes all original accessories, and is backed by a 90 day warranty.
                Price: $38.94 - List price $79.99   750 GB formatted
                I think that would be nice ina 755 desktop.
                Buteven if the HDD was not the real problem, having a spare is a good idea. I keep extra hard drivces on hard tohelp me  isolate some kinds of problems.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »
                As stated you can get HDDs in a variety of places. But of course if you don't trust yourself to install it, well then it's not going to be much use in it's box :P

Forums are great but for those that require more "hands on" help- eg installing a drive- It's probably a good idea to look around for a small repair business which is friendly and reputable, the sort you can trust for advice and recommendations who isn't out to boost their commission or make a bigger sale.

Actually installing the hardware is probably the easiest part of replacing the Hard Drive, but of course a new hard drive has no Operating System (Which means of course you won't boot into anything- it will just complain and you can't even use the system) so for those who don't feel they are capable or are concerned they might not be able to, it is usually worth the peace of mind to have somebody else perform the installation.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 03:55:19 AM »
                I concure withBC_Programmer.  :)
                For some ittakes a lot of pratice and help to become familiar with current desktop desing. Some computers are not so easy to open up. And if you make a mistake you can damage a delicate part of themotherboard.
                Myseld, I knopw better, but last week I ruined a working motherboard.  :'(

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 01:05:56 PM »
                  Well, just for the heck of it, I tried to go online with my pc and actually got on! Of course, it's real slow, but I was shocked I was able to do it. I'm still going to have my friend check out the pc b/c it's still not good. I want to thank everyone who's helped me. Many many thanks!
                  bc

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
                    « Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 06:19:31 PM »
                    Well, this evening my pc brought  up ablack screen which says that no drives have been found....

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 06:23:59 PM »
                    Went from Failing to Failed, it would seem.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                    • Geek After Dark
                      • Gekk9pm bnlog
                    « Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 06:32:45 PM »
                    Let it rest forawhile. Then try again.

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
                      « Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
                      HELP! What can I do? I talked to my friend and he says that I need a recovery disk if I replace the hard drive. I bought the pc refurbished and it did not come with one.....he said I could contact Dell and they might would ship my a recovery disc if I gave them some sort of number off the pc. Can someone please advise? I can't afford to buy a new hard drive, and operating system, and pay him to fix it as well! I'm really depressed without my pc! :(
                      BC

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                      • Geek After Dark
                        • Gekk9pm bnlog
                      « Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 10:50:06 PM »
                      Begin Dictation.
                      Here are some additional information. Whenever a Dell OptiPlex the soul – being refurbished, it almost always means that the vendor guarantees that the operating system has been authorized by Microsoft. The operating system installed on your bill 755 was Windows 7. Is that right? Your Dell computer will have a sticker somewhere on the side or back of the case. The sticker will indicate that the software installed on that computer came from Microsoft and there is a number on it that indicates it is an authentic version of Windows that Microsoft has approved for use on a Dell computer. Your Dell might possibly have to stickers on, one for the original Windows version and the second for the version that the vendor used to update your Dell to the current version of Windows.
                      You can go to the Dell website and look up more information about how to find the sticker that has the product key on it. When you reinstall Windows 7, you will need to use that product key and you'll have to use the same version of Windows 7 that goes with the Dell Computer. You should have made a copy of the operating system when you first got the machine. Also, there may be a recovery partition on the hard drive that is still in good condition.
                      Sometimes what happens is the boot sector on the hard drive becomes corrupted or for some other reason it cannot be read by the computer when you start the thing up. In some cases, you can turn off the computer and wait a few minutes and then try again. I have often had that happen to me. And if that should happen to you you want to find out right away what is the proper way to make a backup copy of the operating system.
                      Sometimes cards drives just go completely out and there's nothing you can do. However, it only takes a small defect in the early part of the boot process to make the whole thing fail. The boot sector is a very small area on the outer edge of the disc itself. Sometimes, for reasons that are too technical, that area of the disk might perceive more where than other parts of the disc. In some cases it is possible to repair the disk by simply doing a new installation from some type of recovery media.
                      It would be worth your while to contact the Del company and see what provisions they have for getting you a new copy of the Windows 7 version that belongs on your computer. I'm not able to tell you that the price might be. But don't be surprised if the would ask something like $25 or so to ship the disc out to you.
                      But the most important thing is to verify that your Dell computer was properly refurbished and does have the authentic sticker on it that came from Microsoft.
                      Here is a link to a page on the new Dell website that explains how to find the sticker on your Dell computer.
                      End of dictation.
                      http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/4/SLN289661/where-is-the-certificate-of-authenticity--coa--label-located-on-dell-laptop-computers-?lang=EN
                      EDIT: It is OK to use a copy of the OEM Dell verions of Windows 7 you get from someone you trust, like a riend or relative. The COA makes you alegal user.
                      « Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:00:45 PM by Geek-9pm »

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
                        « Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »
                        Geek,
                        Thank yoou so much for all the info, but I don't/didn't know how to back up anything. I see a pc just like mine on ebay that is $99 with free s/h and says that is is a microsoft authorized refurbished and comes with the CDs included. Might that be a better option for me as I don't  understand so much of this. PLEASE forgive me for being so stupid. My friend that I spoke of is more of a friendly acquaintance and he works all the time, so I don't ant to bother him any more. Thank you, no matter what.
                        janet

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                        • Geek After Dark
                          • Gekk9pm bnlog
                        « Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 12:31:55 AM »
                        breadcrumb,
                        You are not stupid! Your observation is correct. One can now get refurbished PC for a fraction of the original cost. And it is less expensive that calling technician to fix your computer.
                        In general, I have been doing good by getting stuff on eBay. But a few times I made the wrong choice. So I have learned o think it over for awhile before I buy something.
                        I just got a replacement HDD for my old 745 and now it is acting much better. But it took  three days to do all the backups and adjustments needed. Some parts of the system were damaged and I have to install some things again.

If you do get another PC, don't misplace the CDs or DVDs  with the software.
                        Comeback here anytime and ask questions.