Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 8585 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Help!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 03:55:19 AM »
I concure withBC_Programmer.  :)
For some ittakes a lot of pratice and help to become familiar with current desktop desing. Some computers are not so easy to open up. And if you make a mistake you can damage a delicate part of themotherboard.
Myseld, I knopw better, but last week I ruined a working motherboard.  :'(

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 01:05:56 PM »
    Well, just for the heck of it, I tried to go online with my pc and actually got on! Of course, it's real slow, but I was shocked I was able to do it. I'm still going to have my friend check out the pc b/c it's still not good. I want to thank everyone who's helped me. Many many thanks!
    bc
    Call me "Breadcrumb". I'm certainly crummy at computer stuff!

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 06:19:31 PM »
      Well, this evening my pc brought  up ablack screen which says that no drives have been found....

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 06:23:59 PM »
      Went from Failing to Failed, it would seem.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 06:32:45 PM »
      Let it rest forawhile. Then try again.

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
        HELP! What can I do? I talked to my friend and he says that I need a recovery disk if I replace the hard drive. I bought the pc refurbished and it did not come with one.....he said I could contact Dell and they might would ship my a recovery disc if I gave them some sort of number off the pc. Can someone please advise? I can't afford to buy a new hard drive, and operating system, and pay him to fix it as well! I'm really depressed without my pc! :(
        BC

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 10:50:06 PM »
        Begin Dictation.
        Here are some additional information. Whenever a Dell OptiPlex the soul – being refurbished, it almost always means that the vendor guarantees that the operating system has been authorized by Microsoft. The operating system installed on your bill 755 was Windows 7. Is that right? Your Dell computer will have a sticker somewhere on the side or back of the case. The sticker will indicate that the software installed on that computer came from Microsoft and there is a number on it that indicates it is an authentic version of Windows that Microsoft has approved for use on a Dell computer. Your Dell might possibly have to stickers on, one for the original Windows version and the second for the version that the vendor used to update your Dell to the current version of Windows.
        You can go to the Dell website and look up more information about how to find the sticker that has the product key on it. When you reinstall Windows 7, you will need to use that product key and you'll have to use the same version of Windows 7 that goes with the Dell Computer. You should have made a copy of the operating system when you first got the machine. Also, there may be a recovery partition on the hard drive that is still in good condition.
        Sometimes what happens is the boot sector on the hard drive becomes corrupted or for some other reason it cannot be read by the computer when you start the thing up. In some cases, you can turn off the computer and wait a few minutes and then try again. I have often had that happen to me. And if that should happen to you you want to find out right away what is the proper way to make a backup copy of the operating system.
        Sometimes cards drives just go completely out and there's nothing you can do. However, it only takes a small defect in the early part of the boot process to make the whole thing fail. The boot sector is a very small area on the outer edge of the disc itself. Sometimes, for reasons that are too technical, that area of the disk might perceive more where than other parts of the disc. In some cases it is possible to repair the disk by simply doing a new installation from some type of recovery media.
        It would be worth your while to contact the Del company and see what provisions they have for getting you a new copy of the Windows 7 version that belongs on your computer. I'm not able to tell you that the price might be. But don't be surprised if the would ask something like $25 or so to ship the disc out to you.
        But the most important thing is to verify that your Dell computer was properly refurbished and does have the authentic sticker on it that came from Microsoft.
        Here is a link to a page on the new Dell website that explains how to find the sticker on your Dell computer.
        End of dictation.
        http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/4/SLN289661/where-is-the-certificate-of-authenticity--coa--label-located-on-dell-laptop-computers-?lang=EN
        EDIT: It is OK to use a copy of the OEM Dell verions of Windows 7 you get from someone you trust, like a riend or relative. The COA makes you alegal user.
        « Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:00:45 PM by Geek-9pm »

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »
          Geek,
          Thank yoou so much for all the info, but I don't/didn't know how to back up anything. I see a pc just like mine on ebay that is $99 with free s/h and says that is is a microsoft authorized refurbished and comes with the CDs included. Might that be a better option for me as I don't  understand so much of this. PLEASE forgive me for being so stupid. My friend that I spoke of is more of a friendly acquaintance and he works all the time, so I don't ant to bother him any more. Thank you, no matter what.
          janet

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 12:31:55 AM »
          breadcrumb,
          You are not stupid! Your observation is correct. One can now get refurbished PC for a fraction of the original cost. And it is less expensive that calling technician to fix your computer.
          In general, I have been doing good by getting stuff on eBay. But a few times I made the wrong choice. So I have learned o think it over for awhile before I buy something.
          I just got a replacement HDD for my old 745 and now it is acting much better. But it took  three days to do all the backups and adjustments needed. Some parts of the system were damaged and I have to install some things again.

If you do get another PC, don't misplace the CDs or DVDs  with the software.
          Comeback here anytime and ask questions.