Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blocked address  (Read 2966 times)

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Blocked address
    « on: March 23, 2017, 04:47:52 PM »
    I have been using my hotmail email address for over 20 years, and my local library tells me they are sending emails to let me know when a book is available - but I am not getting their emails.

I wondered if it may have been accidentally blocked at some stage, as they are using the correct address.   Is there a way of checking?
    Judy

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Blocked address
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »
    Check the SPAM folder...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 06:13:07 PM »
      I already do that automatically when checking mail.     I would not have asked the question otherwise.
      Judy

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:40:20 PM »
        Up until about a year ago, I would receive notification that a reserved book was available from the library.   We checked the address they had, and it was correct.
        Judy

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 05:33:08 AM »
        Microsoft has been killing off Hotmail little by little. I would move this notification service to a different e-mail such as a gmail account which should be around for a while. Yahoo isnt even safe these days since they are in money troubles. Microsoft is nudging people away from Hotmail. Maybe this is their nudge to you to move onto a different e-mail.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hotmail-no-microsoft-outlook-email-services-explained/

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »
          Well the hotmail address comes under Outlook mail now - guess that's the same thing.

Reluctantly I will have to move to gmail. 

Thanks for your help.

I am getting more spam and junk these days on hotmail.
          Judy

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 03:03:30 PM »
          Microsoft has been killing off Hotmail little by little.
          No, they rebranded it to outlook.com. Hotmail addresses going back to 1997 will still login and still receive mail perfectly fine. You can still create an @hotmail address up to today.

From accounts that send a lot of E-mail, webmail (including gmail) usually results in message deferral which makes it take much longer to arrive. The idea is to "throttle" possible spammers, since generally it is spammers sending out a crapload of E-mails. It's worth trying another webmail though as it might function differently.

Just "anecdotally" but we've found gmail to be the biggest pain in the *censored* when it comes to sending E-mails. inevitably complaints that customers didn't get monthly statements or reservation notifications turns out to be because gmail is involved somewhere in the loop.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
            No, they rebranded it to outlook.com. Hotmail addresses going back to 1997 will still login and still receive mail perfectly fine. You can still create an @hotmail address up to today.

From accounts that send a lot of E-mail, webmail (including gmail) usually results in message deferral which makes it take much longer to arrive. The idea is to "throttle" possible spammers, since generally it is spammers sending out a crapload of E-mails. It's worth trying another webmail though as it might function differently.

Just "anecdotally" but we've found gmail to be the biggest pain in the *censored* when it comes to sending E-mails. inevitably complaints that customers didn't get monthly statements or reservation notifications turns out to be because gmail is involved somewhere in the loop.

I'm not that fond of gmail either (I've had an account but don't use it).   I guess I will stay with Outlook mail till it becomes unbearable.

Meanwhile I have changed my library address to another address (Microsoft Office) - tho I prefer to keep this address for specific items.

Thanks for your help.
            Judy