Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Scan Guard. - Is it another scam?  (Read 2593 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Scan Guard. - Is it another scam?
« on: March 23, 2017, 10:14:17 PM »
I got this e-mail. I am notsure how they got my private address. It is the one I only use for Amazon and a few other sites.
I replaced my first  name with  *****

It’s Dean again, your Account Manager at ScanGuard.

I wanted to follow up from my email yesterday and help explain a little more about what we do here and how it can benefit you.

ScanGuard is an industry leading all-in-one security application which leverages the most advanced antivirus protection available on the market.

The antivirus engine itself is currently installed across over 500 million unique devices, meaning you have the highest level of protection available.

That’s not all, you will notice that there are a number of features to assist in optimizing your computers speed and performance.

Whether you want to clear redundant caching, uninstall applications or simply delete duplicate files you can do it all within the one app.

Use the link below today and resolve 2 threats located during your initial scan and save an instant 60% today

---( linke removed.) ---

Dean
Account Manager
ScanGuard
Even Thunderbird thinks it is a scam. But what do yu think?  8)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Scan Guard. - Is it another scam?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 05:59:41 AM »
This right here says it all...  ;D

Use the link below today and resolve 2 threats located during your initial scan and save an instant 60% today

No scan ever run but yet they state you have 2 threats..  ::) ;D

Its definitely SPAM, and using pressure/scare tactics to get people to buy into their product. I would also weigh in on stating that its also a SCAM, because even if they have a product that might clean up something, the 2 threats are a lie, its about as bad as a car dealership using sales pitches to get you to buy into whatever they are trying to sell you that is not factual, but if they can sell you on that it is then they got you.

I see junk e-mail like this all the time. I also use Thunderbird. You can teach it what is junk from what is not. I have been teaching mine for about 3 years now and its pretty good at sorting good from bad. Sometimes good stuff still gets placed as bad and some new problems show up due to evolved subject lines etc that get around the prior rules I set. But I flag it as junk and it knows if others match to that structure of words again or similar to place into the junk folder. I also set up my rash cleanup to dump my trash bin when closing out. *This can be dangerous if something important finds its way to the trash bin of Thunderbird, but I have yet to have this become a problem, so it empties the trash bins to the e-mail accounts that are configured in it.

I think the only problem i have since using Thunderbird is that I actually forgot my passwords for some of my e-mail accounts because it has them stored. Luckily I can drop a backup of the Thunderbird files/folders to a computer after clean install of Thunderbird and able to then have it ready to roll. However now that I think of it, I would perform a new backup as for Thunderbird likely updated itself between now and last time that I made a complete copy of it, and mixing new install of Thunderbird with old Thunderbird guts could break Thunderbird or just not work someday.

Other issue other than forgetting passwords is that I used alias name and address and so I could lose access to some of these e-mail accounts someday if I am forced to change password with Yahoo for example and dont know the old password, dont know my alias, and dont know my security questions.  ::)  Its a ticking time bomb to someday no longer having access to these e-mail accounts.  ;D  However I can still open Thunderbird and see offline e-mail, and who i am in contact with that need to remain in contact with and notify them of a new e-mail account and that the old one is no longer active.