Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet speed (Fiber)  (Read 2996 times)

wolfy

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Internet speed (Fiber)
    « on: March 24, 2017, 06:43:33 AM »
    I upgraded to higher fiber internet speed. The test on my computer is showing that the modem speed is as it should be:

160 Mbps

But my device (a gaming computer) is much slower:

66 Mbps

I'm using a wireless USB adapter. The model is DLink DWA-182C1

Do I need to upgrade something on my computer to get higher speed?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Internet speed (Fiber)
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »
    I think we need some clarification.  How many different computers are you talking about?  How did you conduct these tests?  When you did the test that showed 160 Mbps, were doing that via a wireless connection to your modem/router, or via Ethernet cable connected to your computer? 

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 10:41:41 AM »
    Signal Strength will affect the sync speed. If the wireless connections signal is weaker than excellent then it will sync at a slower speed to maintain a handshake. How strong is signal strength.

Also what make/model is the gaming computer or if custom build, all the specs of it?

wolfy

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »
      I did several tests on different websites (like http://testmy.net/) and I did a test on my internet provider website (Bell). This test show the actual speed of my modem (it's somewhere inside a wall) and the speed of my device (my PC). I have to use wireless connection.

I phoned my provider and they said it's not the fault of the modem, because the speed is good, so the problem must be my hardware.

My signal strength look good (see attatchement)

My computer is this one:

http://69.16.194.131/prod/MTg5NzUyNDQz/iBUYPOWER-Desktop-PC-Gamer-Supreme-NE985SLC-Intel-Core-i7-3770k-40350-GHz41-16-GB-DDR3-2-TB-HDD-Windows-7-Home-Premium-64Bit

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Arthur ASCII

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:15:57 AM »
        Please try connecting directly with an ethernet cable and doing the test again. You may be pleasantly surprised by the result...

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:41:53 AM »
        my modem (it's somewhere inside a wall)

Never heard of someones modem somewhere inside a wall to not be able to connect to it directly with Cat5.   :-\

Suggestion now is have a friend bring their laptop over and connect to this wireless and perform a test then and see if the speed is the same or different since you dont have physical access to "your" modem.