Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing CODEC file(s) from Windows Media Player  (Read 3982 times)

02bin3

Missing CODEC file(s) from Windows Media Player
« on: March 29, 2017, 10:05:30 AM »
I hadn't used the WMP for a very long time & today I tried to download some new CDs that I got, & it wouldn't rip them because it was missing the proper CODEC file.  I tried looking that up & found info on it, however, you had to know what CODEC was missing.  I hadn't a clue, neither could I find nor figure out what they were talking about.  I figured I could download the newest WMP version & when I tried to run the program it said I already had a newer version.  Tried to find that on my Programs and couldn't find a Windows Media Player file among the 75 programs on my computer.  I have VLC also on my computer but couldn't figure out how to RIP the songs with that program, either.  Years back I found MUSIC programs to be much more user friendly than what is offered today.  All I need is a program that will download the CDs so that I can pick the songs I want to Burn to a CD to play in my car.  Is there any Dummies version to fixing this problem OR is there another free Music program that is more user friendly?

NEEDTOKNOW!!

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Re: Missing CODEC file(s) from Windows Media Player
    « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
    could you uninstall WMP then down load the newest version again and that would possibly contain the files

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »
    I tried downloading a new version and the notice popped up that I already had the newest version.  I was going to, as you suggested, delete the version I have presently, but when I
    went to the list of Programs in the Control Panel, I couldn't find the Windows Media Program to uninstall it.   Out of 75 programs on the list, none of them was WMP, unless it is listed under
    a different name and I'm just not computer savvy enough to recognize it??  Thanks for answering.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »
    What ver. of Win is this ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »
    Windows 7 Professional

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »
    See Here...

Make sure to DLoad a fresh copy of WMP...

02bin3

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 06:48:40 PM »
    Well, I did as you suggested and unchecked the 3 check marks under Media and then restarted it.  I tried to download a fresh copy of WMP and when I clicked on the download, it told me it couldn't download because I needed to be validated that I had a genuine copy of Windows 7 on my computer.  It is genuine, however, it didn't tell me HOW I was supposed to prove to them that it was a genuine version of Win 7 so that I could download a fresh copy of WMP.  I went to the Microsoft website and that was totally useless.  Listed a lot of stuff about validation, but didn't tell you HOW you were supposed to do it.  If there is another simple, free program out there that will allow me to rip from a CD and then burn the songs I want to another CD for personal use in my car, I'd be very happy to download it.  I do not have an iphone or anything else that I can download music to, so CDs are what I am limited to.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 07:00:01 PM »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 07:08:58 PM »
    Lots of programs to do that, thankfully.

Media Monkey (Patio's Link) is a good one.  It looks like the free version would be limited in terms of ripping CDs in some ways. I'd guess iTunes provides the same ability. I only have that on a rather old G4 and G5 Mac system I have but I was experimenting with that and was able to rip and burn Audio CDs- I doubt they removed that feature since.

Winamp is still a good Audio Program as well, which provides both. I use version 5 and haven't had issues going either direction (though I admit it doesn't come up very often).

CDBurnerXP Looks to support burning an Audio CD as well. It looks like you'd have to use something else to rip it.

I'm not sure but you might be able to use a program like IMGBurn to create a disc image of the Audio Disk and then write that to another disc to copy it over.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 07:19:51 PM »
    I think also you need to determine what file format the car CD player needs to make your burn sessions successful....

02bin3

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »
    I have no idea what format the car CD player uses.  I know that the CDs I made for it before WMP went on the fritz, were fine and I had no problem. 

I had downloaded a Windows 7 Codec Pack several days ago figuring that it would automatically fix the problem with WMP, however, when I opened it, it cautioned about making changes if I didn't know what I was doing so I forgot about it.  However, I just went back to it and opened up Advanced Codec Settings and it showed a number of settings were disabled.  I am assuming this is reflecting what is on my WMP.  The ones listed DISABLED under ffdshow (64 bit) are:
    MP3
    MP1,MP2
    WMA 7
    WMA 8/9
    MS ADPCM
    MS IMA ADPCM
    Other ADPCM
    Mulaw/Alaw
    MS GSM
    True Audio
    TrueSpeech
    QDM2
    Real Audio
    IMC
    ATRAC3
    WAVPACK
    AVIS
    QT PCM
    Uncompressed
    It doesn't show how to change these settings.  Could these disabled settings be the problem with WMP and how would I reset them if this is the problem?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 07:59:06 PM »
    That looks like the Klite codec Pack info...
    You can safely re-install it and accept all changes it wants to make...re-boot after.

02bin3

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 02:38:06 PM »
    Tried installing the Codec file and that made no difference with WMP.  Downloaded Winamp and couldn't get that to find the CD to rip on D Drive.  Even went to youtube to find out what I was doing wrong and came up empty there.  Finally downloaded Media Monkey and that program is presently downloading my CDs and it looks to be fairly easy to use.  Thank you all for your time and your help.  It is very much appreciated. ;)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 04:17:52 PM »
    Kewl Beans...glad it's working...