Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advanced Advance Power Options  (Read 4841 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Advanced Advance Power Options
« on: April 04, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »
Is there any software that enhances or tweaks Windows 10's Power Options?

I have my Surface set to "Sleep" when "Lid Closed/On Battery", but it still drains pretty significantly - a few percentage points an hour.

The standard options for Lid Closed/On Battery or "Do Nothing", "Sleep", or "Shut Down". I would LOVE something that was like, "Hibernate - After Ten Minutes of Lid Closed on Battery". So like if I close the lid to throw it in my bag while I board a plane, it doesn't hibernate, but if I don't get to it any time soon, it would...

I don't need a lecture on the poor state of batteries in Windows computers, just an auxiliary management tool if one exists, please.

Thanks in advance!
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Salmon Trout

Re: Advanced Advance Power Options
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »
The standard options for Lid Closed/On Battery or "Do Nothing", "Sleep", or "Shut Down".

If hibernation is enabled (e.g. by using powercfg) you can set the lid close action to hibernate (rather than sleep), but it would seem you can't specify a delay, so that it looks at first as if the only options you have for performing actions when you close the lid are in Power Options in the Control Panel that is, Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate,  Shut down. You cannot create custom actions here to assign to the lid close event.But! Some people use this workaround... you can use the Task Scheduler to schedule a task when a certain event is logged. Going to sleep is a logged event. You can specify, when you create the scheduled task, that you want the computer to wake from sleep to perform the task.

Detailed instructions here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a5f9d579-00c7-49fd-9bf4-a13ef1a01c93/task-scheduler-on-laptop-lid-close?forum=w7itproui

So maybe you could set the lid close action to 'sleep', then schedule a task to run whenever the laptop sleeps, this task being a Powershell script, VBscript, or batch script which waits X minutes and then forces hibernation. I have not tried this, but it looks promising. I will try it out on my Dell laptop in a few minutes.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 11:23:47 AM by Salmon Trout »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:12:31 AM »
Some 3rd party tools are mentioned Here...  towards the end of the Article...

I have not tested any of these...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:41:02 PM »
OK thanks Salmon. On my SP4 running 10 I don't have a Hibernate option.

(Clicking "Change settings that are currently unavailable" doesn't make it appear....)
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 12:42:12 AM »
You can usually enable hibernation (so it appears in Power Options, start menu etc) from an administrator command prompt (Win + X menu) using the below command:

powercfg /h on

You can turn it off using:

powercfg /h off

May need to reboot after.

Note: this is what you see if you don't use an Administrator prompt:

Code: [Select]
C:\>powercfg /h off
Unable to perform operation.  An unexpected error (0x65b) has occurred:  Function failed during execution.

Using the 'off' parameter makes my Power Options power buttons dialog look like yours.

Hope you can see my screen grabs:

This is after doing powercfg /h on

This is after doing powercfg /h off

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:31:23 AM by Salmon Trout »

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 02:37:05 PM »
Thanks. I probably disabled it late one night when I got tired of the six-gazillion GB file that the hibernate cache takes up.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 04:48:02 PM »
six-gazillion GB file that the hibernate cache takes up.
usually it's the same size, or a bit smaller than, the amount of RAM you have installed. If hiberfil.sys is causing you disk space trouble, you have other issues you should be addressing.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:24 AM »
I also just discovered - and this could be post-newest-Windows update - that there's an option to turn the network on or off, whilst on battery power and when the lid is open or closed. So I'm going to see if that helps drainage as well.