Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I run Windows from an external HDD?  (Read 3494 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Can I run Windows from an external HDD?
« on: April 06, 2017, 12:46:45 AM »
No, I don't mean the windows to go feature for a certified USB stick.
Rather, can I run Windows 10 from a spare external HDD I have. Specifically a USB, not an external SATA type.
A article in PC world has me curious. I wonder if my old hardware could do it. I don't have  USB 3, only USB 2 on this old thing.
Here is the story:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3185777/windows/how-to-install-windows-on-an-external-drive.html

He claims a new  program will 'fool' Windows into believing you have an internal device.
WinToUSB V3.5
http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/

Has anybody here ever used it?   8)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Can I run Windows from an external HDD?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 06:35:32 AM »
Follow these steps to get Windows running on your external drive.
Download WinToUSB

WinToUSB serves the same function as Windows To Go, an enterprise-only tool from Microsoft that doesn’t work with most consumer versions of Windows. It’s intended for use with USB sticks, but it will work for other external drives too.

Might not work out for you according to this.  :-\

eSATA might be able to work though since its not USB if you want external drive to have windows. Other thought is that the system have a drive in it with the boot hooks on it for say Windows 10 and Windows 10 is off onto an external drive that is using a symbolic link for C:\windows, so that the contents of Windows 10 are on the USB external but the boot hook and to get symbolic linking to work and USB drive support remaining on the internal drive.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »
Installing Windows on an external hard drive would be a violation of the EULA, wouldn't it?

2.      Installation and Use Rights.

a.      License. The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded version genuine, and in that situation, you do not have a license to use the software.

b.      Device. In this agreement, “device” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a device.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »
Yes.

And it takes more than the above to do it...but we don't advise on it here...
Geek should know better anyways...

Topic Closed.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "