Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing error and SO MUCH MORE!  (Read 4265 times)

CuNaMo

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hello and thank you in advance to anyone who offers me advice or assistance. I am in a doozy of a situation!

CPU: Intel i5 2500
    MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
    Ram: 8GB DDR3
    GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200

This entire problem started when I installed a media program and upon starting it up, I received the error "This program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll" iss missing from your computer." I looked online and the solution was to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015, so I download and install it from the Microsoft website and the installation gets to 99% and then shows an error! In "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel it shows it as installed, but I still get the same missing dll error when I run the media program.

I do a google search and find out that I have to update Windows for Microsoft Visual C++ to work, so I go to Windows Update and click "Check for Updates" and the updater starts for about a second and then stops with unknown error #80073712! Another google search shows that there is some kind of problem with old Windows 7 updater and they released an update (ironic) to fix it! This update is called KB3138612, so I manually downloaded it from Microsoft and installed it, but the installer immediately crashed and said "This update is not applicable to your system"! So then I downloaded the windows update diagnostic tool which found that there was an unknown error #8007372 and couldn't fix it!

At this point, I'm thinking my system files must be corrupt, so I do yet another Google search and find that a sfc scan checks system files, but when I open command prompt and run the sfc it says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation." I restart in safe mode and try it again: same error. My brother installed this OS years ago and I don't have the install cd, so I downloaded a windows 7 repair disk from "somewhere," booted it, and opened command prompt in boot. I ran "sfc /scannow /offbootdir /offwindir" and I got the EXACT same error!

NOW, I think it must be a virus (even though I use Comodo firewall) so I downloaded Avast and ran a scan, but it shows nothing! At this point, I am at a loss what to do. I know that a fresh install would fix it, but as I mentioned, I no longer have the install disk/serial key (it was my brother's disk in the first place). Furthermore, I have a lot of programs that it would be very difficult to reinstall/restore. Is there any way I can fix all of this with my current OS installation?

Side Note: I currently have three hard drives in my PC. One is is for my OS and programs, and the other two are file storage. The second hard drive is currently in the process of failing and I am (very slowly) backing it up on the third drive. Once it is all backed up, I will only have the two hard drives. Since the failing drive is not where my OS is installed, I don't think it's part of the problem, but just in case, I mentioned it here. Please help!