Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stumped on internal memory controller question AMD Athlon II x4 620 CPU  (Read 4023 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
So I was looking up specs on my older gaming system and what caught my eye was that it claimed that the internal memory controller is 667Mhz. Does the memory controller have its own clock independent from the FSB clock which is 800Mhz on my system ( similar to how a video card would have its own 702Mhz internal clock for the GPU, yet the GPU works with the CPU ), or is the 800Mhz DDR2 reporting as 800Mhz with CPU-Z because its 800Mhz RAM sticks in a board that supports 800Mhz DDR2, but the memory controller is bottlenecking the system to a 667Mhz FSB?

*The clock setting on the BIOS shows 200Mhz with a 13x multiplier and its running at 2600Mhz. For years I thought that the RAM that is 800Mhz was running at 800Mhz and not 667Mhz as for the internal memory controller supports DDR2 and DDR3. For a short period I ran this CPU on a newer socket AM3+ board until my FX-8350 8-core 4.0Ghz was purchased and that was with 1333Mhz DDR3, but then upgraded to 1600Mhz for the 8-core FX-8350 to 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM from 8GB of DDR3 1333Mhz. Then when the FX-8350 arrived the quadcore Athlon II x4 620 went back into the old socket AM2+ motherboard that it originally came out of. :-\

667 MHz Memory controller
One 2000 MHz 16-bit HyperTransport link

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon%20II%20X4%20620%20-%20ADX620WFK42GI%20(ADX620WFGIBOX).html

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Yes, CPU-Z reports the Memory SPD, it doesn't tell you how it is operating (unlike say GPU-Z which will tell you if your card is operating in a reduced mode like PCI-E 4x). It could be limited by the memory controller either straight up because of the Memory controller speed or due to other factors like those shown in this table.

800Mhz DDR memory would be DDR2/DDR3 1600, which as you can see in the information you linked is not supported.

I would expect the Memory controller to be the FSB speed because (at least as far as I thought) the memory controller effectively is The front-side bus.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
I would expect the Memory controller to be the FSB speed because (at least as far as I thought) the memory controller effectively is The front-side bus.

I was thinking same thing, but this system started off with running on 1.5GB of mixed 533Mhz DDR2 sticks years ago when RAM from a prior Pentium 4 that ran on DDR2 533Mhz was migrated forward in this low cost gaming build, then I upgraded it to 2GB of 667Mhz DDR2 when I found some 1GB sticks from a dead system that were good, and then 5 year ago I bought a ASUS P5Q Deluxe motherboard, Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU, and 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz RAM from my brother for $100 and the 4GB RAM I installed to this system and then upgraded from 32bit to 64 bit Windows 7, and the CPU went into my wifes system as an upgrade to the socket 775 Celeron D 2.53Ghz and gave away the motherboard to a friend, and I assumed that the memory controller ran at multiple clocks based on the wide range of RAM it supports. Such as I have run this Athlon II x4 620 on the older 533Ghz DDR2 which is slower than 667... *However.. maybe the 533 could have been run at 667 overclocked without manually overclocking the RAM, but I am thinking it actually ran at 533Mhz. And the 800Mhz RAM could be running underclocked at 667Mhz.

Not that big of a deal as for the system runs healthy. Its just that it caught my eye as odd that they have it listed at 667 yet this CPU I have run on multiple different RAM speeds and type and it runs on them such as the DDR2 ( 533, 667, 800Mhz ) in the Biostar MCP6PB M2+ motherboard, and DDR3 ( 1333Mhz ) in the  Biostar A960D+ motherboard.

Both boards here:

MCP6PB M2+ : http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=387#memorysupport

A960D+ : http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=627#memorysupport