Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Learning resources  (Read 3217 times)

R3XXY

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Learning resources
    « on: April 22, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »
    Hi I'm new to the forum.

I've recently started working in a computer sales and repair shop, I've discovered that with basic problem solving abilities it's possible to fix a lot of software issues by following other people's instructions, there's no shortage of forum posts about just about every issue, but I'd like to get a grounding in how Windows works, in itself and in relation to hardware:
    Registry, processes, file types, DOS commands etc, so I can make more informed diagnoses and be more confident in what I'm doing and why.
    Can anyone point me to some good resources where I can learn about that sort of thing?

Thanks in advance  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Learning resources
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
    but I'd like to get a grounding in how Windows works, in itself and in relation to hardware:
    Registry, processes, file types, DOS commands etc, so I can make more informed diagnoses and be more confident in what I'm doing and why.

Tons of info out there.... the cheapest source is a bunch of Google Searches on the subjects that you listed...

Additionally there are many certifications you can go for. The one that I suggest is A+ Certification, but if you dont want the certification I would definitely suggest at least buying a book or finding a A+ Certification material book and read that all the way through. It might be a slightly dry read, but it will have a large amount of useful knowledge for anyone who is going to work in a computer repair shop to know the internal workings of the hardware.

For Windows and how it works. There are Microsoft Training courses out there. You will want to pick specific versions of Windows to focus on as for they have their differences as well as similarities between them. Years ago my one employer paid for me to get the MS-2272 course to get Windows XP Pro Certified https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/course.aspx?cid=2272

There are courses out there for newer versions of Windows. I took a 5 day on-site training and then tested and got my MS-2272 Cert through a Microsoft certified training facility. Employer paid the bill which was sweet.

R3XXY

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
      Thanks  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:31:23 PM »
      One good book on the internals and details of Windows operation is "Windows Internals". It has an entire chapter about what happens during startup and shutdown, for example.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.