Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Faulty memory causing PC freeze?  (Read 2793 times)

yordancho

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Faulty memory causing PC freeze?
    « on: April 30, 2017, 11:03:05 AM »
    Hi guys, apologies if this is the wrong section to post this but I am seriously confused right now.

I have a Dell inspiron 3521 laptop with a one 8GB ram stick. For several weeks now my PC has been freezing up (usually I notice this happens when it gets under high load - most commonly watching YouTube or if I have too many things running). I can tell when it's going to freeze as the sound starts tearing. Sometimes I will get a BSOD - whea_uncorrectable_error. Sometimes the PC will just stay frozen. HOWEVER when I pick up my laptop by the bottom (where the RAM and the Hard disk are) or move it slightly, then it unfreezes (usually it freezes again after a couple of seconds).

My question is: Is it possible for faulty RAM to cause this? Maybe a faulty Hard drive? I have ran a chkdisk as well as a Memtest86 and a mdsched.exe. All of them come back as though nothing is wrong. I have two RAM slots in my PC and I have tried using both, but the problem persists. Also I have tried to run my laptop without the batter to eliminate that as the culprit.

If anyone has any idea what faulty piece of hardware could be causing this, please share and I want to buy a new component. Thank you  :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Faulty memory causing PC freeze?
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »
    How long did you let MemTest run ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

yordancho

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 11:27:32 AM »
      Hi thanks for the response. I let all tests complete fully then checked the windows event viewer for results.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »
      Then you haven't ran MemTest...it runs in cycles til it's terminated by User...

And it should be ran 1 hour minimum...any errors at all = bad RAM.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

yordancho

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »
        Apologies I was thinking of mdsched.exe. For MemTest, yes it did run for a long time (over and hour) performing several cycles and in the end there was a message saying that no errors were found. What I don't understand is what hardware component is capable of freezing the whole system for a couple of seconds when disconnected and then resuming like nothing had happened when connected again. Is this the case with a hard drive?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 06:21:05 PM »
        What I don't understand is what hardware component is capable of freezing the whole system for a couple of seconds
        Almost  all components could do that.  :(
        From archives....
        http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm
        This page provides recommendations on what to do if your computer frequently freezes or completely halts.
        The article names RAM as the first thing to check.

yordancho

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 06:25:05 AM »
          Yah thanks man that's what I'm thinking as well. It always seems to unfreeze when I squeeze the side where the ram is rather than hard drive. Just going to buy a new stick and worst case scenario I now have 16GB ram :D