Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Xp Defrag  (Read 2898 times)

MsCACraig

Xp Defrag
« on: January 24, 2006, 07:46:55 PM »
My windows xp defrag is no longer on my system, after installing and uninstalling Diskeeper.
It seems as Diskeeper uninstalled the defrag program that comes with XP. Any one know where to download the files needed for XP defrag :-?

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    Re: Xp Defrag
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 11:44:12 PM »
    So you don't see Defragment Now button under Tools tab? Or...? On the other hand Diskeeper does this for you. Probably it caused. Why you need again XP Defragmenter?
    « Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 11:46:25 PM by peccavi »
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

Blackberry

Adviser
    • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
      « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 04:34:56 AM »
      if it doesn't exist anymore, try system restore and reset to the date before installing diskeeper
      Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

MsCACraig

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 04:53:26 AM »
      The files for XP defrag are there but when clicking on the .msc file I get the same...
      The defrag console with a browser window that says "page can not be displayed."
      I've tried system restore, doesn't work. I've tried going back to different restore points before diskeeper and It says my system cannot be restored.
      Any other suggestions? :-/

MsCACraig

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 10:15:43 PM »
      Yes I have ran online antivirus scan, used pc-cillin, system ok.
      What is sfc/scannow? How will this recover or fix XP defrag?
      « Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 10:16:51 PM by MsCACraig »

rjdana

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 03:37:24 PM »
        Had the same problem.  UnInstalled Diskeeper and XP Defrag returned.  Magic maybe...j

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
          « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 11:14:36 PM »
          Had the same problem.  UnInstalled Diskeeper and XP Defrag returned.  Magic maybe...j
          No magic...Diskeeper is for defragmentation and so doesn't like rivalry so takes away system defrag. I still confused why one need diskeeper and Win Defrag simultaneously?
          Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 01:36:16 PM »
          No magic...Diskeeper is for defragmentation and so doesn't like rivalry so takes away system defrag. I still confused why one need diskeeper and Win Defrag simultaneously?
          That's not really this issue, is it?  Of course, one does not normally does not need two disk defrag utilities.  But, for most non-MS defrag utilities, I'm quite sure installing them would not make the Windows Defrag disappear.  Windows Disk Defragmenter would still appear in the programs menu, but the user would simply use the other defragmenter they had installed if that was their preference.  Windows Disk Defragmenter can not be uninstalled via any normal procedure.  There's no option to uninstall it via Add or Remove Program, Add/Remove Windows Components.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 01:52:45 PM »
          That's not really this issue, is it?  Of course, one does not normally does not need two disk defrag utilities.  But, for most non-MS defrag utilities, I'm quite sure installing them would not make the Windows Defrag disappear.  Windows Disk Defragmenter would still appear in the programs menu, but the user would simply use the other defragmenter they had installed if that was their preference.  Windows Disk Defragmenter can not be uninstalled via any normal procedure.  There's no option to uninstall it via Add or Remove Program, Add/Remove Windows Components.

Well actually this goes back to Microsoft and Windows95. When it was installed on an exiting DOS system it renamed the DOS defrag to something else, thus rendering it unusable because it was harmful to the Long File Names, among other things. I am not surprised AT ALL that Diskeeper does this, and it does not set a precedent.

Bl0wn2b1ts

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 04:23:09 PM »
          Hi,

try this.

right click my computer and select manage

then where it says storage click disk defragmenter

does that help?

thanks

paul
          « Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 04:23:37 PM by Bl0wn2b1ts »

Backdated

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 04:13:25 PM »
          I'm not sure about Diskeeper deleting Defrag but I wouldn't think it does. It's far more likely to place severe restrictions on it somehow. It might be interesting to run FileMon and RegMon while installing/uninstalling Diskeeper.

Personally, I use O&ODefrag Pro when I eventually get around to it. I find VoptXP very good too.