Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Desktop  (Read 2023 times)

Blink

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • It just sounds to me like you need to unplug, man.
    XP Desktop
    « on: January 29, 2006, 04:45:50 PM »
    I have windows Xp on my machine and wondered if there is any way to lock the desktop icons so that they cannot be moved. I tried to do it via the registry and change it so that on restart the icons are all placed back the way i want them but that didnt work either. I know there is software that you can download to do this kind of thing but wondered if there is a simple way through windows or tweak manager???
    « Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 04:46:36 PM by Blink »

Blink

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      Re: XP Desktop
      « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 04:38:51 PM »
      found a windows tweak that fixed my problem.

Backdated

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 04:42:27 PM »
      What is it? The tweaks I've seen don't seem to last more than a couple of reboots and seem to introduce unwanted effects such as context menu garbling.
      « Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 04:42:53 PM by Backdated »

Blink

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 07:35:01 PM »
        its tweak 188 on this site
        http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm it has .dll file that goes into the system32 folder and a script that you run after the dll file is in the right place. once youve done this you can right click on the desktop once it is arranged how you want it and save the settings. anytime you want to revert back to these settings from then on you simply right click on the desktop and choose restore desktop icon layout. its very effective and hasnt caused me any problems so far.
        « Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 07:35:33 PM by Blink »