Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Inspiron 1150 won't power up  (Read 5303 times)

roastdoug

Dell Inspiron 1150 won't power up
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:48:40 PM »
I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop.  2 weeks after the waranty ended (no joke) it went dead.  No fan, beeps, etc.  Small flash on leds when power button is started.  I read it could be either a power supply problem (tested with other battery and AC adapter, no change), or motherboard.  If it is motherboard, can I upgrade, or would I be better off buying a new system altogehter?

Any help, tips, suggestions greatly thanked.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Dell Inspiron 1150 won't power up
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 09:35:48 PM »
I experienced a similar issue... You plug in the AC adapter to the wall and computer, and the light goes out... Nothing charges... It may be a motherboard issue  :-/ Not saying it is, but it might be. If it is, you're better off buying another computer... Also, dells make very bad laptops... Might I suggest oshiba or Sony?

Flame

nocfed

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 11:54:28 PM »
i had a similar problem but the costomer wanted it fixed so i sent it away it was $640.00 for a new board and a new stick of ram, that included shipping, so do what the other post said look at a new laptop, also look at a fan system which the laptop sits in to keep it cool it will help the life. Hope this helps

Nocfed

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 04:03:08 AM »
Sometimes a totally dead battery can cause this phenomenon. Does the battery charge? If you pull it out is there a small button to press adjacent to some LED's which show battery state (usually 5 of them)? How old is the machine and is this the original battery? I have seen several laptops that even though they were plugged in to a good power adapter just flat would not start until a new battery was installed. Do you have a friend with a similar unit you could try the battery theory with?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 04:03:58 AM by GX1_Man »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 06:52:49 AM »
(tested with other battery and AC adapter, no change)

I'm not sure a new one would work...  :-/

Flame

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 04:03:14 PM »
Sorry, I missed that. Are there any flashing lights on the case? Like amber where it used to be green?

roastdoug

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 01:04:26 PM »
Only lights are a single flash of green when the power button is pushed.

Thanks to all for the input.