Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Home FTP server connection problem.  (Read 6279 times)

fatali

Home FTP server connection problem.
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:47:59 PM »
Alright, here's the deal. I have a system set up whos sole purpose is to be an FTP server. I have FTP server software installed on it, accounts and directories made, my gateway devices are set to forward ports 20 and 21 to that system, which has a static local ip address, and my dsl modem is configured with a dns name. I can connect to the FTP folders just fine using a system in my home LAN, but (so far) no on outside can, they get a connection error.

Now, about 2 weeks ago I was testing some demos of Ser-U FTP server (that how they spell it?) and Voyager FTP client for a friends boss and they were able to connect to a folder I set up using the client software, not simply using a browser window- which is what I want it to be able to do.

My network set up is as follows: DSL line into Westell WireSpeed Dual Connect DSL Modem, it is assigned the internet legal IP> SunRocket MTA 6328-2Re VoIP box, with assigned IP of 192.168.1.50, assigned by the Modem which has DHCP capabilities> 4 port switch> another switch > server, with assigned IP of 192.168.251.190

Now before you go and say "that's why, you're LAN Ip's are not on the same subnet." I know this, the VoIP box also has DHCP capabilites and trust me, I wasn't able to get everything working without using DHCP on both. Frankly, it was thanks to the VoIP box.

my DSL modem has a setting for my DNS name. I've filled that in and it wouldn't work. I installed an IP updater on my server and without using the DNS setting in my DSL modem, I can use the DNS name and get to it, but again ony in my LAN.

This is really driving me nuts... I've been at it for a couple days now.  Any ideas?   I would rather not have to experiment with re-arranging the devices again.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Home FTP server connection problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 12:48:22 AM »
So you have a double-forwarding problem here.  Different gateways do this different ways. Have you tried forwarding port 21 on the DSL modem to port 21 on the VoIP box, and then forwarding again to the FTP server?

I am more concerned though about the use of 2 DHCP servers.  Unless the ports on both devices can be explicitly assigned to a particular subnet, you still have two DHCP servers broadcasting on the same physical network.  I would expect you t ohave problems with such a scenario.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 02:42:52 AM »
    What Rob says about the DHCP is True, unless you have your Router setup to block DHCP broadcasts any computer on your Network could get an IP from Either..

If i could be so bold as to ask , could you make a diagram of your Network Layout, then we can have a look and tell you how we'd try to fix it.
    « Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 02:43:40 AM by panboy »
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

fatali

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 09:18:28 AM »
    The computers only get an IP from the DHCP server runnning on the VoIP box. The DLS Modem and the VoIP box are also using different subnets: DSL- 192.168.1.x VoIP- 192.168.251.x    All ports are set to forward to the VoIP box which I set with a static address and by using Static NAT and also manualy forwarding ports to it. From the VoIP box I 'break apart' the packets by port to either workstations or the servers.

>-------PC1
                                                                    >-------Laptop (when connected)
    DSL Box>---------VoIP box>----4 port switch >-------Server1
                                                                     >---------------------------------------------------4 port switch >----PC2 (mine)
                                                                                                                                                          >-----Server2

My computer and the 2 servers have static addresses on the .251.x subnet, the rest have dynamic addresses on the same subnet.

I agree with the broadcasting, and I can get the system to work using the Modem in Bridge mode, instead of Routed Bridge, and use my Linksys Router to handle all the ports, but If my VoIP box isn't right after the modem then the QoS for voice drops and my data thruput goes down, I don't know why.  The VoIP should be using 60-85 kbps (atleast, according to their website) and my dsl is (usualy) 768/160.  Last time I has the VoIP on the switch I couldn't get any connection on my computer when on the phone. The VoIP box has it's own QoS service and when enabled, gives me connction while on the phone, eventhough it's slow.

I've been having some issued with my DLS connection... unusualy slow speed, trouble downloading, and it started when I put the DSL modem into Bridge mode. I've since put it back to routed bridge. I might try going DSL Modem in Bridge Mode > VoIP Box (running DHCP) > Switch. Only problem is that I can't change the DNS setting in the VoIP box, only in my Router and the Modem.

Hope that wasn't too much information. lol.

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 09:41:22 AM »
      umm you left out the Router in your Diagram..

But any who

At the Moment Client PC arnt important,

Ok so you Need The Ftp to come in Trough the DSL box --->Voip--->Server and out as well
      To me it looks as your Using your Voip as a Router?

Try to Forward the Outside IP to the VoIP Box(make a DMZ) put a firewall on the Voip box in this case,
      Then you can Forward the Ports from The VoIP box to the Server, it may have Better Results than The Double forward..

Why Do you Need the Double DHCP set up? it is your DSL box Giveing out ips?
      And why cant you Change the DNS settings on your Voip box??

fatali

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 10:08:59 AM »
      I left out the router because at the moment I am not using it as a router, only as a switch.

The VoIP box has built in routing capabilities, just like the Modem.

The Modem does not have a DMZ setting, although the VoIP box does.

Both the Modem and the VoIP box are DHCPs.  The Modem aquired the Internet IP from my ISP, then it assigns an DHCP address to the VoIP box, and then VoIP box assignes them to the computers via the switch.

Something just occured to me so I am going to clear it up. When I say VoIP box I mean an actualy phone box provided by the VoIP phone service, not a computer set up to handle phones.

My VoIP provider is SunRocket.

I can't change the DNS settings in the Phone Box because it simply won't let me.... It does not give that option.

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 10:40:13 AM »
        Ahh one of them Voip Boxes , My dad had one like that , i had to program it using a touch tone phone , there were a series of menus on the box that responded to dial tones..

I'm going home from the Office now, ill be off line for about 2 hours, ill see if i can make up a better network layout..

I think using the Voip Box as the Main Router is a Bad idea, Post all the Details you have on the Box and ill see if i can find out how to set it up as a Secondary computer rater that the main router

fatali

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 11:05:30 AM »
        All I have is it's Model number: InnoMedia MTA 6328-2Re.  I'm waiting to hear back from the company on how to change the DNS settings.  Later I may try turning off the DHCP server on the VoIP and see if it will just pass on Addresses from the Modems DHCP.
        « Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 11:08:31 AM by fatali »

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 12:56:49 PM »
          I wont work like that , the VOIP box most likley wont forward a DHCP Braodcast ..

Crap i dont have a spell checker....

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 01:22:52 PM »
            Ok i think you should Set it up like This
            Put Everything on 1 Subnet

Put your Router in place of the Voip Box, set the Voip Manulay to have a Static IP and the Router as its DNS
            Setup the Modem To forward the IP to the Router,

Set router to Forward the Ports for the Voip and The FTP , To the IPs you set on those machines
            By Removeing the Second Subnet and putting the outside ip on the Router , you should have no problems with the port forwards as you will only have one (for each system)

also the Voip may use a range of ports for incomeing and a seperate one for out going . if you fail to set both it wont work.

I need to GET IEspell on this computer...  

fatali

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 02:47:23 PM »
            I tried that setup a couple days ago, and it did work, but when someone would use the phone my data thruput would be slower than dial up.. I don't know why. I might try it again.

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 02:19:57 AM »
              In that case , u need to set up Qos on the Router , so that it wont give all the Bandwidth to the Phone , for example my network at home is set up so no computer will be able to get more than 80%

I don't actually like the setup, i would prefer a more Dynamic one. but you got to work with what you got

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                • Me
              « Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 04:42:37 AM »
              If you want something more sophisticated, you could just ditch the router, get a decent hub, and set up a Linux box between the modem and the hub which performs bandwidth shaping.  Sound tempting?

fatali

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 09:35:36 AM »
              I don't have the space for another computer where the line in is located. lol. It's all in a desk and all the space is taken up by a desktop computer, a server, a printer, and then the Modem, VoIP box, and switch.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                • Me
              « Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 09:55:13 AM »
              I once read an article where someone was running a Linux web server off a >Toshiba Libretto<:

A Linux box doesn't have to be big.  ;)
              « Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 10:00:27 AM by robpomeroy »

fatali

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 10:10:58 AM »
              lol.   I'll probably just get around trying different configs again. It's just time consuming. I got a different modem that is just that, a modem- no routing or DHCP.  I might try:

Modem> Linksys Router> PC
                                                > Server (just data storage)
                                                > VoIP
                                                > Switch-------------->PC
                                                                              >2nd server (web and FTP)

I may also need to look into getting a new router, mines a bit older.  Linksys BEFSR41 v.3

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys.