Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Corrupt msvcp60.dll - can't connect to internet  (Read 3926 times)

Ladyrider

Corrupt msvcp60.dll - can't connect to internet
« on: September 22, 2004, 12:49:35 PM »
I am running Windows ME on another computer which was given to me - without the CDs that originally came with it.

I defragmented and ran virus and spyware scans.  But when I tried to connect to the internet to download the updates (which had never been done), it worked for awhile.  Then the computer disconnected itself from the internet.  When I tried to reconnect, I received the message that the msvcp60.dll file was missing.  I downloaded it from three different files to my CD drive, then copied it to computer #2.

Now I receive the message that the file appears to be corrupt, to reinstall and try again.  As mentioned, I did this three times.

Does anyone have any idea how I may fix this problem without the ME cd? ::)

merlin_2

Re: Corrupt msvcp60.dll - can't connect to interne
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:32:17 AM »
in the msdos prompt type scanreg/restore and chose the last good cab file......so the command looks like this c:\windows  scanreg/restore

Ladyrider

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 10:37:35 AM »
Thank you Merlin_2 -

Being unfamiliar with Windows ME, I can't get the system to start in DOS mode (tried F8, F10, F12, etc)

When I found the MSDOS prompt, it tells me that C:\Windows\Command.com cannot be found.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 11:29:39 AM »
ok ladyrider nice handle ;D locate the c:\windows\option\cab folder next to the scanreg icon is one called setup...click it and it will re-install windows...to have c:\windows\command is strange...has someone played with boot init file?do you have a boot disk that came with it?