Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WinXP won't detect video card, ntwrk adapter. Help  (Read 8947 times)

pacorod

WinXP won't detect video card, ntwrk adapter. Help
« on: November 15, 2006, 08:39:34 AM »
My computer doesn't detect my video card (ATI radeon x800 xt), my monitor (dell m993c), or my network adapter. My system recently crashed, because one of the drives in the RAID 1 array failed. I had to do a repair installation of Win XP. Now that I have an OS up, I found many software and device malfunctions.

I found the following hardware conflicts in my system information:

IRQ 4      Intel(R) 925X/XE PCI Express Root Port - 2585
IRQ 4      Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem #2
IRQ 4      Communications Port (COM1)

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF      VgaSave
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF      Intel(R) 925X/XE PCI Express Root Port - 2585

Memory Address 0xFEDA0000-0xFEDFFFFF      PCI bus
Memory Address 0xFEDA0000-0xFEDFFFFF      Motherboard resources

IRQ 8      Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
IRQ 8      System CMOS/real time clock

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF      VgaSave
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF      Intel(R) 925X/XE PCI Express Root Port - 2585

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB      VgaSave
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB      Intel(R) 925X/XE PCI Express Root Port - 2585

IRQ 116      Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
IRQ 116      Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C

Under problem devices in system information, I get the following:

Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660
PNP Device ID:      PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2660&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_03\2&EBB567F&0&E0      
Error code:                35

Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2662
PNP Device ID:      PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2662&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_03\2&EBB567F&0&E1      
Error Code:               35

Intel(R) 925X/XE PCI Express Root Port - 2585
PNP Device ID:      PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2585&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_04\2&EBB567F&0&08      
Error Code:               35

I tried removing the video card from its slot in the motherboard and reinserting it, but that didn't work. I think it's an OS problem.

How do I get my computer to recognize these devices? Help please.

pcdoc4christ

Re: WinXP won't detect video card, ntwrk adapter.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 08:47:35 AM »
Plug-n-play works great when it works.  When it doesn't, sometimes you have to Plug-n-pray!  ;D

Also, if you are confident working inside the computer, you can remove the expansion cards and then reseat them one at a time.  Windows will have a better chance of avoiding device conflicts this way:

1. Turn off the computer.
2. Open the case.
3. Remove all the expansion cards (sound card, modem, etc.) except for the video card.
4. Place the cards on a sheet of paper or a paper sack (not on a metal surface or plastic).
5. Power on the computer.
6. Shut the computer down and reseat only one of the expansion cards.
7. Power on the computer and check Device Manager to verify there are no conflicts.
8. Shut the computer down and reseat another expansion card.
9. Power on the computer and check Device Manager to verify there are no conflicts.
10. Continue the previous steps until all of the expansion cards are working without a conflict.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:52:01 AM by pcdoc4christ »

pacorod

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 09:47:34 AM »
According to the error code, the firmware and/or the BIOS need updating. I already upgraded the BIOS, but I can't install the ATI drivers. The installation crashes and puts out an error stating that I should rerun installation with VGA drivers.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 11:04:25 AM »
Please write the error message down and post it here word for word.

pacorod

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 11:16:37 AM »
I'm not sure which error of the two you're referring to, but here's both:

Error code 35 from system information's problem devices:

"Your computer's system firmware does not include enough information to properly configure and use this device. To use this device, contact your computer manufacturer to obtain a firmware or BIOS update. (Code 35)"

ATI software (drivers) error:

"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 11:18:14 AM by pacorod »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 11:49:54 AM »
Here is the recommendation from Gates' greats:

Code 35
Your computer's system firmware does not include enough information to properly configure and use this device. To use this device, contact your computer manufacturer to obtain a firmware or BIOS update. (Code 35)

Recommended resolution

The Multiprocessor System (MPS) table, which stores the resource assignments for the BIOS, is missing an entry for your device and has to be updated.

Obtain a new BIOS from the system vendor.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

See this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Is this a Dell, Compaq, Gateway or other computer?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 11:51:02 AM by pcdoc4christ »

pacorod

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 11:58:38 AM »
It's a dell dimension 8400. I downloaded the updated BIOS from the Dell website and installed it yesterday, but no luck. I can't find the ati video card in the device manager.

Also, I used to have configuration options for my monitor (dell m993c), but after the system crash, i'm not able to configure my monitor at all. The system used to detect the dell m993c monitor in the "display" dialog box from control panel and I was able to manage the performance of the display. Now, it only appears as "default monitor" with no options to modify performance.

It's as if the chipset lost all information for the monitor, the video card, and network adapter.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 12:30:03 PM »
Try contacting Dell customer support for the correct video drivers.  In the USA: 888-560-8324, then dial 3 when you hear the recording.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 12:35:28 PM by pcdoc4christ »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 12:37:25 PM »
Is this a video card or a video controller on the motherboard?  If it is a video card, did it come with the Dell computer, or did you purchase it later?  If you purchased it later, did you try downloading and installing the drivers from the ATI Web site?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 12:44:06 PM by pcdoc4christ »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 12:40:27 PM »
Sorry, i should have mentioned this earlier:

Did you enter the BIOS setup to see if it is configured to use the video card instead of the onboard video controller?

pacorod

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 01:08:06 PM »
the ATI Radeon X800 XT came pre-installed with the Dell computer. I checked BIOS at startup for video options, but there is no mention of a video card device. Only an option to enable some kind of messaging system that some video cards need...

Is it possible to run BIOS from Windows XP?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 01:10:11 PM by pacorod »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 03:33:06 PM »
the ATI Radeon X800 XT came pre-installed with the Dell computer. I checked BIOS at startup for video options, but there is no mention of a video card device. Only an option to enable some kind of messaging system that some video cards need...

Is it possible to run BIOS from Windows XP?

Try enabling that feature in the BIOS.

What do you mean by saying, "run BIOS from Windows XP"?

pacorod

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 03:44:50 PM »
i enabled that feature, and nothing happens.

i'm gonna try the plug and pray one more time...

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 03:47:37 PM »
Is all of this from a Dell system? Is there onboard video? If the answer to both of these is yes, remove the add in video card and update all of the drivers from the Dell site only. Then when everything is running correctly you can try to add in the problematic video card.

You have too much going on at once.  ;)

Again here are ALL of the drivers you need except the video card:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8400&os=WW1&osl=EN#

If the ATI card was from Dell you should use their drivers. Make sure you are trying to install the correct one in the correct way. Remember what I told you about your other driver install? Do it the same way.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 03:50:50 PM by GX1_Man »

pacorod

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 04:43:24 PM »
GX1_Man wrote:

"Is all of this from a Dell system? Is there onboard video? If the answer to both of these is yes, remove the add in video card and update all of the drivers from the Dell site only. Then when everything is running correctly you can try to add in the problematic video card."

Yes, its from a Dell Dimension 8400 system, and yes, the video card came pre-installed with the computer when I purchased it.

I don't know what you mean by onboard video. Please explain.

Also, please elaborate on "remove the add in video card and update all of the drivers from the Dell site only. Then when everything is running correctly you can try to add in the problematic video card." I don't know what you mean by "add in video card".

What's the correct way to install the drivers? I'm sorry, i can't find your previous post.