Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Formatting Laptop HDD using Desktop PC?  (Read 3680 times)

codpustnud

Formatting Laptop HDD using Desktop PC?
« on: November 16, 2006, 05:53:25 PM »
           Hello, I have a compaq laptop (I know, compaq, it was a gift), that died on me a while back and I'm getting around to fixing. I got a blue screen everytime I booted up, saying something about XP files being corrupted, so I attempted to reinstall and format my Laptop Hard Drive. It hangs up at 20% everytime I do a quick format. It also instantly goes to 20% and pauses, or freezes. I never let it run for more than 30minutes at 20% so I'm not sure if its frozen. When I tried to regularly format it , it goes to 4% and does the same thing.

My question is, is it possible to format it using my PC? Being that I have other software besides the XP install disc to format it with. And if I can format it on my PC would it be worth it, or is my Laptop HDD more than likely fried?

GX1_Man

Re: Formatting Laptop HDD using Desktop PC?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 04:02:48 AM »
Free diagnostics for hard drive at appropriate drive maker's site.

Free RAM test at www.memtest86.com

I would do both.

Is the disc free of scratches? Is it a real Windows CD as Compaqs do not usually ship with these?