Software > Computer viruses and spyware

Need help recovering from Smitfraud.C

<< < (2/2)

storehadji:
I don't think more spyware removers are going to help.  Spybot and Windows Defender already failed, in both safe and normal modes.  Since I didn't get a recovery disc with this computer, I don't have any option now but to format the C drive and buy a new copy of XP.  I just hope that the malware hasn't infected the BIOS or will otherwise survive the reformat, or I'll be wasting more money.  My machine's pretty much an expensive boat anchor as is, and that's pretty depressing.

chriscool9:
Hi there.
Ok well so you can have the most efficient help i recommend posting the full HJT log file. By default the forum only allows so many characters. Take as many posts as it takes to post the full log.

Chris

stones:

--- Quote ---I don't think more spyware removers are going to help.  Spybot and Windows Defender already failed, in both safe and normal modes.  Since I didn't get a recovery disc with this computer, I don't have any option now but to format the C drive and buy a new copy of XP.  I just hope that the malware hasn't infected the BIOS or will otherwise survive the reformat, or I'll be wasting more money.  My machine's pretty much an expensive boat anchor as is, and that's pretty depressing.
--- End quote ---
Smitfraud is not your average infection, it requires specially made tools to remove.
http://www.spywareremove.com/removeSmitfraud.html
Download that program and follow its instructions.
Do not ignor this post like you did my last one or your problem will NEVER be solved.
No regular spyware remover program can completely remove smitfraud.

unlovedwarrior:

smitfruad will get it just google it.. make sure you dl it from a good site

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=smitfraud&btnG=Google+Search

storehadji:
Thanks for the help. everyone!

I tried Smitfraudfix, and that seemed to work on that one.

However, I had several other infections I couldn't get rid of.  I couldn't run Panda AV, install ANY programs, or burn any discs.  Yikes!

My computer was custom built, with no recovery/installation disc.  So, tonight I made a bootable disk on an uninfected computer and ran FDISK on my infected one.  I bought a new copy of XP at BestBuy and am installing that now.  

So far, so good.

I lost some data and programs, but no biggie.

That's a good tip about POSTING THE COMPLETE HIJACK LOGS.  I hadn't noticed that mine were getting the ends clipped off!

D'Oh!

Cheers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version