Microsoft > Microsoft DOS

(solved)defragmentation at startup.(Pause for x many seconds?)

<< < (5/8) > >>

Jonas Wauters:
Can it do any harm by just trying it?
Otherwise I'll just add my first batch file to try.
Than how do I have to do that?
By the way thanks for replying this fast.

Jonas ;)

GuruGary:
It won't do any harm by trying it.  You can always remove it from the AUTOEXEC.NT if it causes problems with your PIF files.

I think the better solution is adding a batch file to your startup group.

Starting the Diskeeper program isn't going to be that difficult.  But if you want it fully automated, I think there are buttons and icons to click on to get the defrag started, which will be difficult to script.

Jonas Wauters:
I can't edit autoexe.nt or do I have to do it otherwise than right clicking it and go to edit (because edit is missing.)
If I put my Batch file in the startup file than it'll run when I get my desktop and not before the welcome screen sow it will not be able to defrag  the running processes.

--- Quote from: GuruGary on May 14, 2007, 03:40:03 PM ---Starting the Diskeeper program isn't going to be that difficult.  But if you want it fully automated, I think there are buttons and icons to click on to get the defrag started, which will be difficult to script.

--- End quote ---
Yes but then it will again be after the welcome screen.
Or am I wrong??

Jonas ;)

2k_dummy:
You can open and edit autoexec.nt in Notepad.

GuruGary:
You are right, both ways would be after the welcome screen.

The autoexec.nt won't start the defrag before the welcome screen either, though.  But to edit the file, try this:
Start -> Run -> notepad %windir%\System32\autoexec.nt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version