Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internal Stack Overflow Message  (Read 13082 times)

knitwear

Internal Stack Overflow Message
« on: July 18, 2007, 11:03:48 AM »
Hi all
Sure hope I can get some help to this difficult problem. I'm running Windows 98
and getting the stack overflow message. It tells me to change stack settings in config.sys file. I can only get to the file by way of  prompt, can't even start in safe mode. When looking at this file to try to change the stacks  I see there is nothing under this file that says stacks. I do see REM      and a lot of other things such as HEADER    CD-ROM DRIVE  MISCEALLANEOUS       SCSI Controllers. There has got to be  something else I need to be doing. I'm lost and do not want to format my computer.  Thanks so much     knitwear

contrex

Re: Internal Stack Overflow Message
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 12:01:13 PM »
To avoid stack overflow your config.sys should contain these lines

STACKS=64,512
FILES=60
BUFFERS=40

knitwear

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 02:13:03 PM »
Since my list does not contain any of this can I type it in and if so does it matter where? Do I need to take another step if I can't  type it in?

My config.sys only contain this.

REM    HEADER
"         CD-ROM DRIVE
"         SCSI CONTROLLERS
"         DISPLAY
"         SOUND,MIDI OR VIDEO CAPTURE CARD
"         MOUSE

There are a few more items on the list but  stacks is not there. Please tell me why.

contrex

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »
Since my list does not contain any of this can I type it in and if so does it matter where?

Doesn't matter where.

Do I need to take another step if I can't  type it in?

Open the file in Notepad.

stacks is not there. Please tell me why.

Because you need to type it in. I don't know where you got your config.sys from.

knitwear

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:03:46 PM »
Okay. Maybe I'm just not explaining this correctly. Let me start from the very beginning. I am using an authentic & registered copy of Windows 98.

I loaded new software for a printer I was going to add.  The software let me know I needed more ram for it to work. I had 32 and it needed 64. Took 128 out of another computer (which was compatible) and added it to the one with 32.

Started running the software again and all was going well until it had a problem loading a file, then it would hang.  The only way to restart was to manually shut it down.  Since I did not shut it down the right way (when I restarted) the files had to be checked to make sure nothing was messed up. The computer will only check to  2% when it begins to tell me it cannot continue because of an  internal stack overflow. Change the config.sys file.

I shut the computer down the incorrect way again and when I restart I continually tap the F8 key so I can get the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu.
I choose #5 Command prompt only.  I put in c:\edit config.sys at the prompt.

It takes me to the file that says config.sys at the top.
Mind you I cannot use the mouse to click on anything because somehow it is disabled. I use F1 key to learn how to navigate from 1 spot to another. I typed in the info you gave me and turned it off manually(had no way of saving it first)  When I start it up again I get the same old message. Where am I going wrong. Remember I cannot even start in SAFE MODE.

PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE what is happening. I've got to find out how to solve this in case it ever happens again. Do not want to reformat. Thanks again      Knitwear

knitwear

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 09:16:43 PM »
Okay   Can anyone help me. I'm just totally lost.  :'(

Finally changed the config.sys file and was able to restart but I am still getting an overflow message. Is there a way I can check the ram to see if its defective?

Even tried to erase my hard drive -  but the same old message. Tried calling  HP - the maker of the printer software  I was trying to install. They said they could not help  because they can't uninstall files from the c prompt.

I'm getting so frstrated. Looked at the microsoft support site. Did not help.

Already know the ram I installed was compatible. Could there be a hardware conflict.?

I know I'm getting desperate cause I talked to Best Buy tech support  and I'm one to try as many ways as I can before I go there.

Does anyone think if I change stacks to  8 instead of 16 this would help.

Pleeeeeeeeeese help me!!!!!!!!   knitwear

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:38:04 AM »
    have you update your windows?? i believe they fix an overflow error

knitwear

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 04:34:46 PM »
    I can't even reformat my hard drive. Stack overflow message comes on even then. I'll just keeping trying. Thanks for your help.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 03:03:45 PM »
    Post a copy of your autoexec.bat and config.sys files here...

The last one didn't make any sense anyways.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

contrex

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 03:32:27 PM »
    I had 32 and it needed 64. Took 128 out of another computer (which was compatible) and added it to the one with 32.

Win 98 on 160 MB of RAM...

knitwear

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 08:01:31 PM »

Didn't want to buy more so I swaped it out of another computer . Is that too much? What do you suggest?

Here are the files:

autoexec.bat

SET BLASTER=A220 15  D1 T4
    REM [HEADER]
    @ECHO OFF
    REM [CD-ROM DRIVE]
    REM mscdex /d :gem 001

REM [MISCELLANEOUS]
    REM [DISPLAY]
    REM [SOUND, MIDI, OR VIDEO CAPTURE CARD]
    REM MOUSE

config.sys

STACKS=64,512
    FILES=60
    BUFFERS=40
    REM[DISPLAY]

device=c:\windows\cwdinit.exe/A

Couldn't quite make out what the little sign by echo was. Did the best  I could.
    Hope this helps

contrex

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 11:04:53 PM »

Is that too much?

It's a rather small amount of RAM!

Couldn't quite make out what the little sign by echo was. Did the best  I could.

You got it exactly right.