Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Problem- Power Surge  (Read 4330 times)

Slideman

Monitor Problem- Power Surge
« on: April 08, 2004, 07:55:11 PM »
Hello,
 I'm helping a friend out with her monitor.  Unfortunately, I'm more a software guy than hardware.  So, I'm posting here in hopes that someone might be able to help.

Here's the problem: the power went off at her place and she left the power button on.  When the power came back on, it stopped working and will not turn on at all.  No lights, nothing.

This definitely sounds like a power surge knocked the monitor out.  My question is where would I start to try and diagnose the problem.  It's a KD5 monitor and I checked the website which doesn't have much, so I'm currently at a loss.

Is it a lost cause?  I appreciate any help you folks can give me.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 07:56:54 PM by Slideman »

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Monitor Problem- Power Surge
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 10:51:56 PM »
Slideman,

Just from what you said it does sound like the monitor is likely bad. However, you may want to run through the below monitor troubleshooting steps.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000241.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

merlin

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 01:34:08 PM »
just to add this turn of the power and leave the monitor for at least half an hour for the power to disapate and then take the case of and look for an inline  fuse something like 1.5ma..and thats normally the problem?and also have a look at the mobo for any capacitors learning over and scorching ?AND IF UNDERTAKING THIS BE VERY CAREFUL  OK.. ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 01:36:46 PM by merlin »

Slideman

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 02:08:44 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I looked at those instructions before and I've also tried replacing the fuse.  Neither have worked.  I do hear it trying to do something when I hit the power button, but it's very faint and I can't tell where it comes from.

My guess is that either the power supply or the monitor tube were "busted" by the power surge.  It sounds like she'll have to take it in or get a new monitor.  But, if anyone has any more feedback, it'd be greatly appreaciated.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 02:10:53 PM by Slideman »