Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Weird Monitor Problem.  (Read 3485 times)

Denevici

Weird Monitor Problem.
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:22:29 AM »
Writing in from work now, so I can't run and check the specs on all the stuff at the moment, if anyone asks.

So, here's the problem. Computer was working fine, i turn it off, go to bed, wake up the next morning, turn the Computer on, and the Monitor suddenly doesnt work right.

Usually when I turn it on, a little bar in the middle of the screen says "1: Auto Detect(Digital Input)" for like a second, then it dissapears and is fine. But this morning when i turned the comp on, it says "1: Auto Detect(Digital Input)" and the monitor is fine for 2 or 3 seconds, then it goes black. In order to see anything I have to turn the monitor off and then back on, to get another 2 or 3 seconds of seeing stuff, then it goes black again.. The whole time the Li'l "1: Auto Detect(Digital Input)" is there, and doesn't go away.

I even tried reinstalling the monitor's drivers that came with the comp just in case (Which was a MAJOR pain to do, when i had to turn the monitor off and on constantly to get 2 or 3 seconds of visibility), then restarted like it asked, but it didnt fix the problem.

So basically I am extremely confused, since it was all working fine last night, and today it keeps going black after a couple seconds, with that little "1: Auto Detect(Digital Input)" thing not dissapearing like it should.

Any help would make me love you long time.

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Weird Monitor Problem.
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 12:24:36 PM »
    Can you try the monitor on another computer?
    Else you can try connecting the monitor to the analog output (if your graphics card got one) and see if that makes a difference.
    Or if you got a second digital output try that one.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Denevici

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:22:16 PM »
    I plugged it into the other connection, but it just did the same thing as when i turn it off.. came on for a few seconds then went black again.

I can try it on this computer later to see if it works, or try this monitor on that computer. It's rather frustrating though, as the one time your computer shouldn't crap itself is when it isn't even on.

Denevici

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 03:31:30 PM »
    Unfortunately I can't test this monitor in that computer, or that monitor in this computer, since the computer's done have compatible ports for eachother's monitors..

On a side note, I'm about to shoot myself in the face.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 03:50:12 PM »
    Unfortunately I can't test this monitor in that computer, or that monitor in this computer, since the computer's done have compatible ports for eachother's monitors..

On a side note, I'm about to shoot myself in the face.

This doesn't make sense...monitor connections are standard.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 05:05:55 PM »
      I'm guessing his home PC got two digital outputs on the graphics card, while the other PC he tried had analog connections.
      The outputs are indeed compatible you just need an adapter like this one.
      http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/vgaadapter.jpg
      Denevici if this is the case, you might have gotten an adapter with either your monitor or your graphics card.

Denevici

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 05:11:09 PM »
      Yeah I did, i found it in the back of my closet a while ago.. The monitor from this older comp works on the new computer, but the new monitor still does the same thing on this computer.

So the problem is the monitor itself.. I don't know why, it worked last night when i went to bed, didn't work this morning.

So uhm.. yeah.. This would happen when I finally get some time off of work to mess around in a few games without having to get up early the next day.. Guh!

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 05:18:08 PM »
        So uhm.. yeah.. This would happen when I finally get some time off of work to mess around in a few games without having to get up early the next day.. Guh!
        Ohh yeah, if you have time off it's a given something will happen... you were practically asking for trouble. ;)
        But I'm sorry to hear about your monitor. Is it still under warranty or any kind of service deal?