Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 3.1 boot up (do not laugh)  (Read 2202 times)

acgm33

Windows 3.1 boot up (do not laugh)
« on: August 16, 2007, 03:50:51 AM »
I have been given an old computer that has 3.1 installed on it.  It will be good enough for the purpose if I could get it to load windows properly.  When I try, it shows the 3.1 'logo screen' then I get the message 'out of range !'. I have set the monitor to minimum 800x600 resolution
Any ideas? ??? :(

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 3.1 boot up (do not laugh)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 05:01:28 AM »
If it's been sitting for a long time try re-seating all the add on cards and the RAM...double check all the cabling and connections as well.
Do some housekeeping in there as well with a can of compressed air cleaning all heatsinks and fans.
As always when working inside the case remove all power sources and take anti-static precautions.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows 3.1 boot up (do not laugh)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:32:36 PM »
While you are in DOS:
Navagate your way to your Windows Folder, and type:
setup.exe

Once that loads up (you may need your original disks) change your monitor settings. Just mess around with them until you get a combination of settings that works. (SVGA works well on my older computers, SuperVGA, and as for resolution, its Windows 3.1, should it really be 800X600? Try another one, and see if it improves. )