Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my speakers aren't working :(  (Read 7522 times)

musicislifex

my speakers aren't working :(
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:06:38 PM »
alright, so, i'm not totally awesome with computers and i need the plain "in english" instructions or directions for my speaker problem.
they just won't work. the green power light turns on and i can hear the noise when it turns on but when i go to youtube or google video, i can't hear any sound for the videos.
i've checked the plugs over and over and over again but i don't think thats the problem. i listen to loads of music and it really sucks because i'm pretty sure they aren't busted. if anyone could help me, just reply or whatever. i just found this website because i was getting desperate. i don't need replies that tell me how easy fixing it could be and how i'm "not good at computers", etc. please help! i'm only a highschooler too so um, thats why i'm not awesome with computers?
please, please, please replyyy.

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: my speakers aren't working :(
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 02:22:04 PM »
    Could you give us some more information.
    Windows version?
    When did the problem start?
    Have you tried other speakers/headphones?
    What is the computer's make and model?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

musicislifex

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:50:54 PM »
    okay, here's a little more info:
    it's windows XP edition.
    dell dimension computer.
    uh, the problem probably started a couple of weeks ago...give or take a few days.
    i have two computers and I tried plugging in that computer's speakers but the same problem arises. the green light comes on, yet no sound. then again, the others computer is older and the speakers are made by gateway but I'm just taking a guess that that could be a reason why the other speakers didn't work.
    i miss my speakers,
    musicislifex

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 01:20:09 PM »
      So the speakers didn't work on the other computer? Sounds like your speakers are done for then. But just to be sure try using a different set speakers/head phones/what ever on your computer.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 03:36:13 PM »
        I read that the other way Deerpark.
        I think he's plugged in the gateway speakers into the dell computer.
        He's only a highschooler too so um, we may have to educate this one. ;)

musicislifex

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 03:50:32 PM »
        i'll ignore the "he's". i'm a she. ha. but, yeah. deerpark, you have it the other way around.

pwing

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 05:37:22 PM »
        Try this.  Go to start/control panel/administrative tools/services/.  Scroll down to Windows Audio and see if it's started.  If not, start it.  I've had the same problem.  Windows update seems to reset it at times, at least that's the way it seems. 

Another thing to check is go to the speaker icon in the lower right corner, which shows running programs.  Right click and open.  Make sure the volume control is not "muted."

musicislifex

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 06:16:16 PM »
        i went to control panel > admin tools > services > windows audio
        it was started actually and to be on the safe side i actually restarted it...
        lets hope that doesnt screw anything up even more.
        this will sound really, really stupid but the volume icon never shows on my computer.
        theres probably some really easy, simple, no-brainer way to bring it up or check it but i don't know how.
        bear with me please, just a highschool blonde.

pwing

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 07:08:31 PM »
        Lol!  No problem.  Do this - go to start/control panel/sounds and audio devices.  Double click.  This should bring up the properties.  On the volume tab, make sure the mute is NOT selected, and the volume slider is NOT set low.  You might want to click the option to place the volume icon on the taskbar.  You might want to consider running restore back to a time when everything worked, if this doesn't help.  There are other things it could be.  The drivers might be corrupted, or the sound card might be "cooked." 

musicislifex

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 01:17:07 PM »
        alright, so, off-topic but sorry i haven't been replying so fast about this. it really is an urgent thing for me.

i went start > control panel > sounds and audio devices.
        i tried this earlier, before i started getting desperate for help because i actually do know a few things about the computer. when it comes up, it says "No Audio Device" which I don't get because the plugs are all plugged in and the green light on the speakers come on.  ??? and, i'm actually scared to do system restore (which is something i usually do when i get a minor virus/lose something, etc.) because i have things on my computer that i don't want to lose. plus, i don't know how long ago this started happening. sorry for the lack of info, but, yeah. do you know how to check to see if the sound card is fried? or any other helpful pointers?
        missing my music,
        musicislifex

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 02:04:33 PM »
        To test if the card works install it in another machine... you'll have to install the drivers as well.
        No sound. Bad card.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

musicislifex

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 02:53:17 PM »
        bleh. install the sound card...? drivers...? i'm really unexperienced. emphasis on really. "newbie". is there any other reason why it's screwed up, other then the sound card?

pwing

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 03:26:14 PM »
        There's a couple of other things to try:

Go to control panel/system/device manager/sound controllers.  Pick your sound device.  Make sure the device is enabled.  Does the status say it's working properly?  If not, click troubleshoot.  You might want to check the drivers, also, to see if they've been updated recently.  If so, roll them back.  You might also check for new drivers.  Use google to find them.

If none of these things work, your sound card is probably dead.  Or is your sound card chip on the motherboard?  If it's dead, you'll have to buy a sound card - they are pretty cheap anymore.

Good luck.

musicislifex

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »
        alright, thanks.  :) i'll try that and check back with you.

musicislifex

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 08:51:05 AM »
        i just want to put out there that if any of you can't reach me here and you def. know what the problem is, i have aim.
        and email...
        yeah.
        peace