Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows picture and fax viewer help!?  (Read 7149 times)

Steve harda

Windows picture and fax viewer help!?
« on: November 24, 2004, 06:51:15 PM »
Hi, Where can I find the 'Windows picture and fax viewer'? I know I have it somewhere in my computer because when I open an image file, it opens with that program. I can't seem to find where it is located though. Thanks.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows picture and fax viewer help!?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 11:45:18 AM »
Not to be nosy, but WHY do you have to find it without having an image inside?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

steve harda

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 04:07:10 PM »
no its becaues when I open file, it always tell me what program i want to open with and it only openes with 'windows picture and fax viewer' when i select it. so i had to get another image viewer program(irfanview) and now i like my old one better so i tried to get it back.. but i dont know how to.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 04:11:48 PM »
Oh, Ok. I understand now.... I'm not sure of the location, but have you tried running a system search for the windows picture and fax viewer? I'm really not sure about that becuase I don't know enough about pictures, but if someone else would respond to this message, maybe you'll get a better answer. Sorry!  :(

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 04:21:54 PM »
    What types of files are you trying to open? I assume you mean bitmaps, jpegs etc...

To chose what to open a file which, select it (usually left-click once) then hold down the shift key and right-click the file. Choose open with... Select the desired program if it appears in the list. If the desired program isn't there, then you might just have to use a different program.

steve harda

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 08:21:49 PM »
    yes, im trying to open jpeg, bitmap and others, i think 'windows picture and fax viewer' supports most of image file type.

it is possible for me to view the picture file by going through 'open with' and selecting the program i want but that means i have to do that everytime i open a picture.  anyways, since it does open it when i do it manualy,  i assume that this program still exist on my PC. when i first got this computer,  i used to be able to just open the picture file and it would automatically open with windows picture and fax viewer

Neil

Expert
      « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 12:02:08 PM »
      There should be something like "Always uses this program to open this type of file." Tick it.

steve harda

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 03:20:52 PM »
      yea i know but even when check off that button, it still doesn't open it with the program i want. Sometimes, that button is faded ( cant do anyhting)

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 03:24:06 PM »
      Does your Windows picture and fax viewer  not work properly or do you simply want these files to be opened by another program?

robertmillar

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 03:27:34 PM »
      Richt click and select properties. Click the change button where it says open with.
      « Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 01:11:22 PM by robertmillar »

steve harda

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 11:14:13 AM »
      windows picture and fax viewer does work perfect when i opened it maunaul by going to open wiht and selecting that program. but I just want this program to open just when i double click it., and ive tried to check off the 'always open wit hthis program' but it didnt work

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 11:51:12 AM »
      Go to Start -> Settings -> Configuration -> Folder Options -> File types (3rd tab)

Configure it from there.

robertmillar

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2004, 01:09:56 PM »
      Steve

follow my advice in my last post and it will always open with the programme you want when you double click it

You have to go through properties.  Just right clicking and selecting open with does not change the file association.
      « Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 01:12:53 PM by robertmillar »

Neil

Expert
        « Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 04:25:25 PM »
        Steve

follow my advice in my last post and it will always open with the programme you want when you double click it

You have to go through properties.  Just right clicking and selecting open with does not change the file association.

What OS are you using? On 98, there's nothing in properties that helps.

merlin_2

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 01:31:35 PM »
        regsvr32 shimgvw   typed in the run box.... the view from most  people is to  disable it for security reasons....?