Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Canon Pixma iP4300 won't print onto DVD's  (Read 8002 times)

hitchcock

Canon Pixma iP4300 won't print onto DVD's
« on: September 15, 2007, 07:55:45 AM »
I have a Macintosh 1 GHz PowerPC G4, 1MB L3 cache, 512 MB DDR SDRAM running OS X Version 10.4.10.
I recently bought a Canon Pixma iP4300. All was well until I tried to print a label on a DVD using the supplied software, CD-LabelPrint. It refused to print and presented the following error message:

Error Number 1851
Printing cannot be executed because the Inner Cover is open.
1. Check that the CD-R tray has been removed.
2. Close the Inner Cover, and then press the RESUME button on the printer. Printing will restart.

Well of course the inner cover was open. You have to open it to insert the CD-R tray. I checked all the settings:
Under Page Setup I selected "Format for: iP4300", "Paper size: CD-R Tray F", "Orientation: Portrait", "Scale: 100%".
On the Print Label Sheet under "Printable Label" I selected "All" (and on a subsequent attempt I tried "selected").
On the Print dialog box I selected "Quality & Media / Printable disc (recommended)" (and on a subsequent attempt I tried "Printable disc (others)").

I've tried every permutation of the above settings, always with the same result: Error Number 1851.
I downloaded the latest versions of the printer driver and CD-LabelPrint, and again, Error Number 1851.
I triple-checked the printer manual to see if I was inserting the disc correctly. I was.

Am I doing something wrong or is my new printer a dud?

Desperately yours,
Doug Howard

contrex

Re: Canon Pixma iP4300 won't print onto DVD's
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 08:31:29 AM »
Known problem with Macs. Maybe these will help... I have a Pixma 4200 and it works fine on DVDs with Windows XP.

See here

http://pixma.ulmb.com/index.php/119/2006/10/04/canon-pixma-ip4300-cd-printing-instructions.html

and here

Tray Rejection General Guide

http://pixma.ulmb.com/

hitchcock

Re: Canon Pixma iP4300 won't print onto DVD's
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 06:44:22 AM »
Thanks Contrex, that fixed it. The website you sent me to had a link to a page entitled "Tray Rejection and Mac OS X".
Here it is: http://pixma.ulmb.com/index.php/181/2007/08/27/tray-rejection-and-mac-os-x.html
And here's an excerpt:
"Make your design, or import an image for your layout in the sotware. Click the Print button and do all that says on the promts, like choose the right printer (iP3400), the CD-R Tray F format, and then in the print dialog, choose by Quality & Media Printable disk (recommended) and the default Disc tray (and if you print photo’s on the disks, choose to print top quality photo’s).

Then save as a PDF in the left bottom dialog of the print dialog. This is key to the workaround for us Mac Users!

Open the pdf-file in the Preview software that comes with Mac OS X, do the same settings as above, an then print it. It’ll now work perfectly to print on your disks. No evil error messages anymore, and I did 4 disks in a row after this solution. So the problems looks like a compatible issue with Mac OS X version 10.4.9 and the latest version of CD-LabelPrint software, version 1.5."

To which I might add make sure you reset Page Setup from within Preview before printing.
A slightly fiddly workaround but it works.

Thanks again,
Doug Howard