Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is AGRSMMSG a Necessary Start-Up Program?  (Read 9483 times)

needhelpreallybad08

Topic Starter

Rookie

Is AGRSMMSG a Necessary Start-Up Program?
    « on: April 03, 2008, 02:22:58 AM »
    Hello there, I'm trying to improve performance of my computer by disabling unnecessary start-up programs.

Is AGRSMMSG a necessary program to start with Windows?  Sysinfo.org doesn't have much information regarding it -- only that it has to do with some type of modem...

I have a HP Media Center PC m1180n, running Windows Media Center Edition 2005.  I'm connected to the internet via the ethernet port in the back of the tower.  If I disable AGRSMMSG, will it affect my internet?

Thanks!!

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Is AGRSMMSG a Necessary Start-Up Program?
    « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 05:56:33 AM »
    Research shows AGRSMMSG as a driver program for a Lucent modem. Where did you find this entry, in services or msconfig?

I would disable (not delete) the entry and see how the system responds. Unless you use dial-up service for the internet, it's doubtful you need AGRSMMSG at startup.

Good luck.  8)
    The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

needhelpreallybad08

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »

Research shows AGRSMMSG as a driver program for a Lucent modem. Where did you find this entry, in services or msconfig? 

I found it via Run... >> msconfig >> Startup

The full entry is this:

Startup Item: AGRSMMSG

Command: AGRSMMSG.exe

Unless you use dial-up service for the internet, it's doubtful you need AGRSMMSG at startup.

Yea, I don't use dial-up, I have DSL.  Like I said, I'm connected to the internet via my router >> ethernet cable >> ethernet port [in back of computer].

...So, should I try disabling it and see what happens?   Will there be a problem for anything else?

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 02:49:09 PM »
      So, should I try disabling it and see what happens?   Will there be a problem for anything else?

If you found it in msconfig, unchecking it will prevent it from running. Try it and see. Experience tells me you'll be ok.

Just remember, should you ever need the modem, you'll need to recheck it.

Good luck. 8)
      The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein