Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD Rewriter does not recognise media  (Read 3336 times)

Dumb_Question

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    CD Rewriter does not recognise media
    « on: March 13, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »
    Good Afternoon Everyone !
    At least it's afternoon here.

I'd like some help with solving a problem with my CD drive:

The CD drive, an ASUS 4824AH read/write, internal to my PC does not seem to recognize media.
    In Disk Management it recognizes the device, but the right panel opposite is blank (white) and the left hand panel says 'no media'.
    R-clicking the entry in My Computer and selecting 'Properties' tells be the disk has no label, 0 bytes used, 0 bytes free, 0 bytes total capacity and does not give an FS entry.
    The CD is blank, unformatted, new out of the box.  I wish to make a bootable disk out of it.

Two days ago it burned and recognized the burned files a CD from the same brand new 'cake', so I conclude it's the machine. Shortly after the burning success I burned some other files to a different CD, but they CD was blank in the drive.  I put the disk in my W7 laptop and all seemed good .

What's the fix  ?

Dumb_Question
    13.March.2017

Compaq Presario S5160UK, MS-6577v2.1 m/b, SL77U CPU,  2 x 1GB RAM, OCZ 550W PSU, Ge7800GS video card, Windows XP Home SP3

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: CD Rewriter does not recognise media
    « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
    So it burned proper and the CD was read in another PC...but your PC won't read it ...correct ?

Borrow a different brand media from a friend...certain burners are finicky about the discs.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
    If that produces no joy-joy See Here...

Make sure to backup the registry prior to editing it...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dumb_Question

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »
      Thanks for your attention, Patio.

I burned two CDs from different manufacturers. One was DataWrite, the other I didn't know but it was similar on both sides, shiny, etc., and I wasn't sure which side was the playing side - might have been both/either.  Both CDs seemed to burn ok (when I used the correct side of the double-sided one).  I checked them both while in the drive after burning, I think.  They looked ok. 

For a reason that I can't remember I had cause to check the double sided one again, not only wasn't it not recognized (either side) but I'd forgotten which side was the playing side  :-[  ! I inserted it a number of times into the drive with it not recognized on any of those occasions.  I can't remember whether I checked the other one (DataWrite) again or not: I was confident that the correct that had the correct files on it, as I definitely remember checking that after burning it.

So, I took the double-sided one to my W7 Pro laptop, and that read the CD without difficulty, confirming that the files were present and the right size.  I was satisfied with that and labeled the CD so that I wouldn't be confused again :)

I thought nothing more of it, until the next day, when I needed to make another CD.  I took a new, blank DataWrite one, and put in the drive of my XP computer.  I tried a number of times, but it wasn't recognized.  I took another, and at the second attempt it was recognized and I carried on and made the CD, a bootable one, which seemed to be fine.  I haven't tried booting from it yet though, but if that doesn't work I may have done something wrong in the creation process.  I used ImgBurn.  The CD is still in the drive, but the next step will involve making another one !  I'm not going to try booting from it yet.

(I apologise if this account doesn't tie up with what I said earlier, but is no more likely to inaccurate than what I had previously.  I have probably done a few more things since then as well)

So, I think you cannot help me further on this issue, and I think maybe the CD read/writer is going out, or I'm just putting the CDs in wrong most of the time :(   

Dumb_Question
      13.March.2013

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »
      That model burner is OLD. People were asking forums for drivers in 2004! Asus show a firmware version 1.00 dated 5 January 2004 on their website. They don't last forever, the lasers die, and better drives (that also do DVD burning) cost not much.