Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win95 Invalid Page Fault/Fatal Exception  (Read 4502 times)

x2bmartin

Win95 Invalid Page Fault/Fatal Exception
« on: April 21, 2004, 08:20:38 AM »
I have an old computer on which I'm running Windows 95 and IE 5.5. I've had no problems with it until about a month ago when I started getting "INVALID PAGE
FAULTS in module <unknown>" (usually - sometimes in KERNEL32.DLL). This happens 3 or 4 times and then I either get a Blue Screen "FATAL EXCEPTION 0E in VXD
VWIN32(04)" (usually) or the computer screen locks up and I need to do a restart for the PC. This happened when I tried to log on to my ISP (JUNO 5.0). Sometimes
if I ran my firewall (ZONE ALARM) I could bypass the page faults and get connected. However, eventually I would get the same page faults in IE and the PC
screen would then freeze up. This happens with other programs also. I haven't installed any new hardware or software before this started happening. Windows
booted up fine without any problems or errors happening.

I ran a virus check and found a couple of Trojans, which I cleaned out. The virus check now shows no problems. Talking with JUNO, they said it was a Windows
Internal Memory problem and suggested I re-install their program, which I did, along with re-installing Windows 95 itself and IE 5.5. I then did a SCANDISK and a DEFRAG on the disk. I've also done what was listed in the articles here on "How to fix invalid page faults" and "How to fix a fatal exception error". I've
disabled Window's handling of the virtual memory and set it to 3 times my RAM. I've run MEMTEST86 for 21 hours to test the RAM and it found no errors. The
problem still happens, but now more frequently, and I can not bypass it anymore by running the firewall. Also, now at the end of the startup, I am getting the invalid page fault/fatal exceptions in loadwc.exe and/or explorer.exe.

When I start in SAFE MODE, I can run programs with no problems (but can't logon to the interned because there is no modem in SAFE MODE). If I run "Step-by-Step Confirmation" and reply yes to start Windows GUI and Load Windows Drivers, I also get the page faults/fatal exception messages. If I do not load Windows Drivers, it comes up in Safe Mode. It looks like something is messed up when it loads the Windows Drivers. Is there some way I can further isolate which Driver(s) may be causing the problem? I've tried doing Refresh for each device in Device Manager, but this hasn't done any good.  

merlin

Re: Win95 Invalid Page Fault/Fatal Exception
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 12:59:10 PM »
scan again for viruses>http://housecall.trendmicro.com/  this may have caused your problems?>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242191

x2bmartin

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 08:17:47 AM »
Thanks for replying Merlin. I can't logon to the internet to do an online scan for viruses with Trend Micro. I did re-run McAfee Virus Scan on my computer again and it came up with no infected files. I also checked the Microsoft article but don't think the MTX virus applies because of the above and I couldn't find any MTX files on my computer. From reading the articles, I think my virtual memory (I presume this is the swap file) is getting corrupted, but I don't know by what or how.
I think it is when Windows drivers are loaded, as when I don't load these I don't get the page faults. Any ideas of how I could further diagnose this problem would be
appreciated.

merlin

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 01:47:30 PM »
after a re-read my guess is that zone alarm maybe causing this disable it and try ?a link on >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;150314&Product=w95

x2bmartin

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 08:52:33 AM »
Zone Alarm doesn't start automatically at startup. The page faults occur with or without ZA active. It used to be that with ZA active I could bypass the page faults, but since reinstalling Windows95 and IE5.5, this no longer works - I get the Fatal Exception message all the time after bypassing the page fault messages. I've also disabled all the programs that used to start at startup. I've looked at all the Micorsoft articles and they don't seem to apply in this case.  That's how I  narrowed it down to when loading the windows drivers in a clean boot I found that it occurs; when not loading the drivers, it doesn't occur, but then I can only do a limited amount on the computer as the drivers needed are not present. I need to know how to narrow it down further to find which driver or drivers are causing the problem.

merlin

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 11:56:28 AM »

x2bmartin

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 06:16:04 PM »
I tried installing Winsafe, but Setup said it couldn't find MSVBVM50.DLL. I have Visual Basic 6.0 installed. Is there a VB 6.0 version of this anywhere?

x2bmartin

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2004, 01:01:18 PM »
If I install the Windows Library Update I will back level
the files on my computer it updates. For every file it lists I have later versions of them installed, which should have the fixes this update has. I don't think I have any problem with VB 6.0, as I've had it for about 3 years and the programs that use it work OK (they don't get the page faults I get it some other programs).  I appreciate the time you are taking to help me. I think the problem lies somewhere in the virtual memory area and I have no idea on how to trouble shoot this.