Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Time to choose a x64 firewall  (Read 2712 times)

janlafata

Topic Starter

Rookie

Time to choose a x64 firewall
    « on: July 08, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »
    Just got through installing a new ASUS motherboard and loading Windows XP x64 on it. It will not run Vista.

I'm still in the process of loading programs, but I decided it's time I get the firewall installation out of the way. I knew going into the whole x64 thing that there were few x64 firewall options. But I also run and soon will be loading Kaspersky Internet Security, which, of course has an option to run a firewall.

I say option because, in the past, when I ran the Kaspersky Firewall, I just didn't understand all of the options available when it is put in training mode. That's where you get to pick from a drop-down menu, the options for a service or program to connect, manually. I can't remeeber all of the options, but one of them was Web Browser, another was Custom. I always just chose "Any activity" but always wondered that by doing that, is the firewall secure enough. Your thoughts on that?

So in the meantime, at least until I get some repsonses to my post, I installed Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0. I've run it before, but when I did that Defense + part of it drove me crazy with alerts. So when I installed it this time I unchecked the "Install Defense +" option. Problem is, when I rebooted after install, it showed that Defense + was installed anyway, So I started fooling around with settings and I think I've got it set now where it won't aler me me anymore, though I'm still not sure if it's turned off.

And the Comodo Pro is a nice firewall. There's no doubt about that. But I thought I knew the basics of a software firewall untill I ran it. To me, it's just a little too complicated. So I am thinking of uninstalling it and going with the Kaspersky Firewall.

Just looking for some feedback.
    Jan LaFata

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Time to choose a x64 firewall
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:05:35 PM »
    Good choice on the OS, I'm a huge fan of it.
    Firewalls . . . I liked Comodo when I used it although it did have a noticeable impact on my system and the alerts were annoying.
    Other than that I've only used Sygate, which is great but outdated now.
    A hardware firewall is always good thing to have for inbound defence, a software firewall will protect/restrict outbound traffic too and provide more inbound defence.