Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network questions really confused.  (Read 6855 times)

derick75

Topic Starter

Network questions really confused.
    « on: August 19, 2008, 12:07:13 AM »
    Hi guys, I have a few questions I cant seem to find an answer for. I just bought a Dlink Print server and I was told by their tech support to set the Print server to a "static" ip address. Even though DHCP was an option. Now I know what a static ip address is, but what I don't understand is why you would want a static Ip address for the print server over a dynamic. Is it for reliability? Like when the power goes off or something?   What is the benefit? I was also told to just use the dlink software to setup the static IP and your all set. Don't you need to set this static IP up in your OS under tcp/ip as well as setting up port forwarding within your router?  I am totally confused about this. Also bare with me guys, Lets say your Router assigns IP address from 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.150 The tech guy told me to use 192.168.1.10 for the print server, I told him it was not in the same subnet as my router and he said it  does not make a difference, can someone also shed light to that, I thought all devices on your network must be within the same subnet to work? in this case  all devices must end with .100-.150.  Hope that makes sense.

Derick

fireballs

Apprentice

• Code:Terminal
      Re: Network questions really confused.
      « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 05:29:58 AM »
      Servers almost always have static IP addresses cause they're online most of the time.

It's completely possible that the Dlink software sets up the static IP address by its self and you don't need to do any setting up in the OS.

The last point sounds odd, i'd have to agree with you and put the tech guys comments down to talking to too many cattle-grade users.

Have you run the setup yet? if so did you use the tech guys recommendations? did it work?

FB
      Next time google it.

hmar

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »
        Have you done custom subnetting, or simply limited the range of ips provided by dhcp? by default, 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.100 are on the same network, so unless you have custom subnetting in place, you should be able to use that address. The other side of that coin is there really is no reason it needs to be 192.168.1.10, thoug it might make things easier if it is outside the range handed out via dhcp. Check your subnet mask. if it is 255.255.255.0 you can use the dlink rep's address with no problem. Otherwise, stick within your range.

derick75

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:23:12 PM »
          I have the dlink server working, What I would like to know is why  do they tell you to use a static ip in the dlink software as oppsed to a dynamic, what benefit does it have with the print server?

fireballs

Apprentice

• Code:Terminal
            « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:51:27 PM »
            this might help:

http://www.fnal.gov/docs/pc/nt_at_fermilab/html/current/ntguide.b.html

Though i think for just a print server it doesn't really matter.

FB
            Next time google it.

hmar

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 08:15:36 PM »
              A static ip on a print server makes it easier to maintain your print settings. You can point your computers to an ip address that will never change