Software > Computer viruses and spyware

Windows XP Home Edition - Running really slow! 3 logs provided

<< < (6/16) > >>

cj85:
Okay, will do. If I have any questions, I hope you don't mind but I'll post here.

Thanks again, until that next question... lol

evilfantasy:
No problem. I'll be around for a bit longer.

If not then I will see the questions tomorrow. Everything is pretty well explained though.

cj85:
Now I hope I don't sound like a pain in the *censored*, but I do have a question.

I was wondering, what programs should I have running that are supposed to be like ad-aware and what not. I mean my boyfriends bother has several on the computer, and I'm not sure if they're really needed as far as if one does what the other does and what not. I guess I'm just curious, because if one does what the other does there isn't any need for both, right?

The programs that are on the computer are:

ZoneAlarm - Which I removed today...
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition - Always had it
CCleaner - Downloaded today
HiJack This - Downloaded today
Malwarebytes Anti-Maleware - Downloaded today
SuperAnti Spyware Free Edition - Downloaded today
Ad-Watch - Always had it
CleanUp! - Downloaded today
Defraggler - Downloaded today
BigFix - Always had it
History Kill - Always had it
Spybot S&D - Always had it
Power Toys For Windows XP - Not sure what this is? lol
CompuApps SwissKnife V3 - Always had it
Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal - Always had it

This kid has a lot on here, and I'm just curious if I need all of these or which ones I should get rid of or if this is what is causing such a slow down on the computer?

Now I think I read on your blog that AVG is no longer giving updates? Is this what is causing AVG to say it needs updates almost every day? I could be mistaken though.

evilfantasy:
Personally I would uninstall these.

Ad-Watch < Malwarebytes Anti-Maleware and SuperAnti Spyware Free Edition and Spybot S&D are all you need.
BigFix < I would uninstall this and ocasionally run the Secunia Software Inspector instead.
History Kill < CCleaner is better and safer.
CompuApps SwissKnife V3 < Not sure what this is http://www.compuapps.com/download/Swissknife/swissknife.htm
Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal < Malwarebytes Anti-Maleware and SuperAnti Spyware Free Edition are all you need.
Spybot S&D < Keep this and be sure to open it and check for updates and then also click on Immunize to update and protect your Hosts file. Do this every other week or so.

--- Quote ---Now I think I read on your blog that AVG is no longer giving updates? Is this what is causing AVG to say it needs updates almost every day? I could be mistaken though.
--- End quote ---

AVG 7.5 is no longer supported but the new AVG 8.0 is. Good antivirus will update every day, every other day at the very least. You have AVG 8.0 now. Honestly by uninstalling that and using either Avira or Avast instead you may notice a difference. AVG can use a lot of resources.
Avast! Home Free Edition
Avira AntiVir Personal

cj85:
Okay, I did all that. Kept the ones you told me to keep, and got rid of the ones that weren't needed.

Also, when I was finally done removing programs and what not. I ran CleanUp! and I got an error:

Error Deleting File or Folder
    Cannot delete Dc101: Access is denied.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Not sure what it means?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version