Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer shuts down when click on link to open new window  (Read 9905 times)

kellyd

Topic Starter

Starter

Internet Explorer shuts down when click on link to open new window
    « on: September 09, 2008, 01:21:44 PM »
    I'm using IE 7.  The problem occurs when clicking on a link that opens a new window.  IE will sometimes freeze and then have to be shut down, including the window(s) that was already open.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi kellyd - Welcome to Computer Hope! Please start a new Topic in Internet Browsers so that you may get the attention that you require.

For starters, clear the IE cache, history and cookies; shutdown IE and re-start it. Post the results of this action in your new topic.

Thanks, I cleared the cache/history/cookies and after restarting still have the problem.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Internet Explorer shuts down when click on link to open new window
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 10:41:27 PM »
    Close IE.
    Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
    Same thing?

kellyd

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:40:39 PM »
      Turning off the add-ons seems to work.  There were one or two links I clicked on where I couldn't view the content because the add-on was disabled, but I'd rather have that than IE freezing up on me.

Thanks for your help!

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 07:06:08 PM »
      It seems like one of your add-ons is causing problems.
      Open IE. Go Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, and click on "Reset" button.
      This will reset your IE to its default settings, and all add-ons will be disabled.
      If IE works OK now, you can start enabling add-ons,  but one-by-one, until you'll find the culprit.
      My vote would go for either Google, or Yahoo toolbars, if you have them installed.