Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Partition HD in Half, XP "solved"  (Read 6422 times)

spiderlucci

Partition HD in Half, XP "solved"
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:09:05 PM »
hi, I have split my drive in half and use Acronis disk 10. it's like partition Magic.
I split my drive in half.. one was for XP of course NTFS file system and the other was Linux 2007.
even before i install Linus the Linux side froze up and yes i was having the same issues with XP. They where both acting strange.

Now, I know i did this right and maybe you can say if I'm crazy or not. even when Linux is install or not they freeze.

Just in-case nobody knows how Linux installs... when i put the CD in the drive and went threw the options... it would take me to a desktop... "now even if i see this Linux desktop it isn't install yet. It is not like XP, how ever it was giving the same problems.

it would freeze if i was using a application or not... XP and Linux.

I did believe  it may have been the program that partition the HD... so i uninstall it.  same problem.. "freeze"
I know it's not a hardware issue either.. been down that road.
Note:
i did do a chkdsk /r and defrag my drive before and after i partition, still giving me issue.

I also  did restore my PC from my back up program.. the drive was one whole drive again with just the C drive only... XP was fine and i did not get a freeze or any problems.

I did get a update from the company and they seem at a lost. "acronis"

however, i did the split again with this new update... same problem.

now I decide to reinstall my XP fresh... with my CD..."this xp CD is not a restore CD" it is the whole OS"

with out putting the Acronis partition disk 10 in the computer.. so since the drive where already
split in half.... I figure maybe with out this program... "I thought  in theory this program "Acronis was corrupting both OS  XP and Linux

I was wrong!
it may not be Acronis!

Does anyone have any problems Partition there drive in half, making two Os with a Maxtor HD ???
I talk to Maxtor and they don't know nothing or the person.

I have a Pentium 4 3.00GB
Ram 2GB
Hard drive is 300GB  so there is alot of space
Nvidia geforce 6200 AGP
SP2

I have Linus 2007 Ker 2.6

Thanks again!
spider ;D

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 05:22:32 PM by spiderlucci »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Partition HD in Half, XP
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »
I was wrong!
it may not be Acronis!

Until we have accurate details it is what it is...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

spiderlucci

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:46:14 PM »
ok, should I just get another HD and put Linux in there instead ??? This drive may not handle Partition very good.
does anyone have any problems as of partition there drive and if they did ok... with what type of drive.

I just don't believe this event or problem should happen but, it did.

Thanks
spider :(

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:58:42 PM »
This sure sounds a lot more difficult than it needs to be.

Delete ALL partitions on the drive, then create a primary partition (however big you want) for XP and leave the rest of the drive unpartitioned. (You don't need Acronis or any other program to do this, and it WILL complicate things if you try.)

After you install XP then insert the Linux CD. (You didn't say what distribution and there are 100+. This info would help.) Install the linux into all of the free space. Just take the default install. It will also install the boot loader so you may choose what operating system you want to run when the computer starts.

It's really very simple. Just take your time.

Do please let me know what Linux variant you are using.

GX1  ;)

spiderlucci

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:12 PM »
ok.. I'll give it a try but if it doesn't work than what ???
The reason I'm asking is because something tells me it's going to do this again.. I hope not.

The Linux I have is: PClinuxos  2007 radically simple i got it from on-disk.com
Thanks again :)

spider

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:16:38 PM »
It will boot up as a "live CD" which means it is functional running from the CD drive.  There will be an icon on the desktop to perform the install.  ;)

spiderlucci

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 08:49:50 PM »
The Install wasn't the part I was afraid of  GX1_Man

I also know how to make my own partition without Acronis. The only real reason for someone to use a partition program is so they can keep there programs and other stuff without reinstalling them.

I did try it your way and it didn't work!

I also was talking about the freeze on both OS and problems not asking how to install windows or create a partition using fdisk. ::) Thanks for the tip anyway. :)

The install is always easy... I have no problem with install and they never gave me issues....

I also know how to do a duel boot system but, for some reason... the HD doesn't function right when it's split in half. "This is why I ask if people if they where having problems with Maxtor HD"

thanks and let me know what you think... and if you forget what I did.... just read from the beginning and it will tell you.

Thanks again! :)
spider
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 09:20:53 PM by spiderlucci »

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 11:51:12 PM »
I don't know, spider -- I've never had a drive of any brand not work simply because I created partitions on it.  Then, of course, I've never used Acronis to partition drives.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

spiderlucci

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 07:43:34 PM »
Aegis , I also  try Partition magic and that didn't work.
My point is no partition program will work at all... so I did try to create my partition with XP instead... so i delete my Partition and made it one again after that.. i create the partition and split  it in half with XP only and this is before i install xp now.

That didn't work which i found strange.. never seen that coming before but something told me that it would not work.! I'm sure The  Acronis Partition would have work fine... it wasn't the programs fault guys because it was still giving me problems and my Hardware is great, even the motherboard.
I still have a backup of all my programs in my external drive... but it will take a few hours to install... that part I was Trying to avoid. :'(
I know what someone will say.. did you update your Bios.
Bios update have nothing to do with partition your HD. " to split your drive in half". Now if I'm wrong... please correct me.

However, i did install  a second drive so i will see how this comes into play.

If anyone did partition there drive, what type of drive was it and what program did you use... OS would be nice.

Thanks guys for the help and the education.. I thought I knew it all :)
Spider

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 08:46:01 PM »
Have you ran the FREE HDD diagnostics on that Maxtor now available at Seagates site ? ?
Are you setting up the 2nd partition as an extended partition ? ?
It's pretty wierd you've tried 3 methods and none of them work...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

spiderlucci

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 08:31:45 AM »
patio, I did it all. Even when i sent the information back to Acronis, they would have told me i was making my partitions wrong because they sent me a program to give the PC a diagnostic on what was wrong and they couldn't fine anything.

I fine it strange this happen so I went to plan C. which should have been plan A

A second drive in the PC and see how that comes into play and if i have problems than you can say it maybe something I'm doing wrong but, right now no.

I'm not crazy or dum but I can say I have never had a partition problem before.

This is why I ask this one question again.. "has anyone partition before and what type of drive because Maxtor doesn't seem to work, or at least mine doesn't."

Thanks again! :)

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 08:52:14 AM »
It's got nothing to do with your drive being a Maxtor. Nothing at all. Worst case, your drive is faulty. Not because it's a Maxtor, but simply because the drive itself is faulty. This may or may not be the case.

You keep saying "I did it all", but you're not providing details of what exactly you did and what the results were. You need to provide precise details of everything or this is never going to get solved. I suggest you start over at the beginning of this thread, follow ALL of the suggestions provided, keep precise notes on everything that happens, every message you receive, etc. Then, post again and provide all the details.

spiderlucci

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 11:20:08 AM »
quaxo, I never said it had anything to do with Maxtor... it was a question ::)
I also thought I post my  info from the top about my problems and what i did.  My drive is not faulty and my specs/hardware are not having any problems.

I have tested them with segate website that has been there for a long time. I also tested it with my Micro-scope

OK.. to prove my point that i was doing this right, i will do it again... I will get back and even Maxtor might agree.

I'll let you know.
thanks. :)

spider

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 01:40:34 PM »
No, you never SAID it was anything to do with your hard drive being a Maxtor drive, but you did ask. I was simply answering your question.

I suggest you remove all your partitions so the drive is totally empty. Let Windows setup create its partition only to the size you want that partition to be (don't make the partition the whole drive and split it later). After the Windows installation completes, install Linux and let it create its partition in the unused space.

spiderlucci

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 05:21:44 PM »
quaxo, thanks for getting back... I did all that before i  saw your post.

This wasn't the first time either, that i did this.

In the pass this method would have worked .. now I found something new I never thought that I would need!

Yes, it is fix.

I did everything by "protocol"  My motherboard  Bios was up to date and could see the capacity of the whole drive, which was done a long time ago... I figure I add that in.

strange it didn't work and the drivers for the drive where find with xp pro.... hmmm what did I find out?

I install Maxblast 5 installation software.... after that, it ask me "that Maxblast  detected that it couldn't see the full capacity of My HD do you want to enable it?".... but I still saw the full capacity of my HD.  I enable it..

now, i don't know if this had anything to do with Maxtor Maxblast or not, or what ever but, it worked! :D

Thanks for getting back quaxo and everbody else that try to help.

spider
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:44:05 AM by spiderlucci »