Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop won't connect to the internet through wireless router  (Read 33182 times)

Z-Byte

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Laptop won't connect to the internet through wireless router
    « on: October 08, 2008, 08:37:53 PM »
    Who's ready to have some fun?

I have an HP Pavilion laptop that runs Vista, and used to run the internet very well!  But then I unplugged my linksys Wireless-G broadband router and my Westell Bellsouth modem to move my computer desk a few feet.

It's heavy, ok?

When I plugged everything back up, the trouble started.  My PC still has internet, but it has a line going straight to the router.  My laptop, however, only connects to the router itself, telling me I only have Local only access.  I tried diagnosing and repairing, and it gives me this little gem:

Cannot comunicate with Primary DNS Server(192.168.1.254)

It also tells me it's a problem that can't be repaired automatically, so I'm forces to find out what I'm doing before I do it.  I went so far as to log onto my router's homepage and change the type to "PPEoE."  Of course, doing that knocked out the internet on the PC and still didn't help, so I switched it back and went through the arduous task of resetting all the unsuccessful repair jobs (trying to set up a static IP, turning off all my firewalls, things like that).

Before this all happened, my internet was fine!  Well, save for the off-and-on 'flicker' that would cut off the internet for a split second, but then it would come back.  I no longer experience that on my PC, but at the cost of my laptop's accessibility, I don't think it was a fair trade.

I'll be happy to give whatever info you guys need.  I've tested it on another router and it works fine, and I've connected it straight to the modem and got internet, but I also have a linksys wireless 'key' that I can use to connect a computer that doesn't have wireless to the router.  I turned off my laptop's card, put the key in, tried to connect, and ended up with the same result: Connected to the router, but not to the internet.

Good luck, and thanks for any help you can give!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Laptop won't connect to the internet through wireless router
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 03:21:00 AM »
    If another router works, it is very likely the one you are trying to use right now is damaged.

Z-Byte

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:29:42 AM »
      Hm... it's a possibility, but why would it not be giving me internet on my laptop if it's giving it to my PC so readily?

I did test my gameboy on it, though, and I could not connect to the wifi with it.  It could be broken, but I believe it is more likely that it is simply denying outside connections through some option that I am not aware of.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 03:30:56 AM »
      Oh, so the wireless isn't working?

Z-Byte

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 03:33:38 AM »
        I believe it is, actually.  My laptop can connect to the linksys itself, but it has a local only connection, while my PC rejoices in the magesty of its internet.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:15:16 AM »
        How about, if you hard wire laptop to the router, and if that doesn't work, straight to the modem.

Z-Byte

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 02:01:15 PM »
          Hardwiring doesn't let me connect to the internet either, though it does get local access to the router.  Hooking it straight to the modem, though, gives me internet with an IP like 192.168.1.94

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 02:18:09 PM »
          Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 30 seconds.
          Power them back on.
          Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
          Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
          cmd
          Click OK.

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
          ipconfig /flushdns
          ipconfig /registerdns
          ipconfig /release
          ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
          Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
          cmd
          Click OK.

At Command Prompt, type in:
          netsh int ip reset reset.log
          Hit Enter.
          Type in:
          netsh winsock reset catalog
          Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
          Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml
          Restart computer, and check again.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »
          Woah, Broni! :o

One of those will surely work... ;D

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »
          I'm not sure, but that's a whole battery to try.

Z-Byte

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »
            Disconnecting them didn't work, sadly.  After thirty seconds, they just popped back and gave me the same old song and dance.

I did manage to get internet when my laptop connected to the modem, but I can't carry the modem with me through the house, so I had to scrap that idea.  I unplugged it and went about trying the other fixes.

I ran CMD as an administrator and managed to run both fixes, but neither of them had a noticeable effect.

I did, however, get the gall to try something.  I checked my PC and noticed that the connection it had with my router had a static DNS address.  205 152 37 23

I put that on my laptop and success, internet!  I celebrated too early, though, as I noticed that both internets couldn't be running at the same time.  Bringing up a page on the PC would shut the laptop's internet down, and vice versa.  However, I switched it around, gave the laptop the static and set the PC on automatic.

The end result was a laptop with internet and a PC that thought it could access the internet but was only giving me my cache pages.

So I gave the static DNS back to my PC, also keeping it on the laptop, and expected it to have the intermittent internet problem again...

I don't think it does.

I might have fixed the problem... but I want to keep it active to test it a bit more.  Chances are I'll restart it someday and everything will fall down around me.  Armed with this new information, is there any more advice I should know about?  Anything to expect or something else to try to ensure it doesn't happen again?

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 04:01:25 PM »
            Did you actually go through all the steps above?

Z-Byte

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 04:19:21 PM »
              Not the very last one.  The winsockfix mentioned it was for XP.  Running vista, that didn't seem to be the most prudent choice, though I did try.  Pressing the 'backup registry button' didn't do anything, and actually telling it to fix it gave me an error, a window that said "Please reboot your computer," and another that said "Error 52, File not found" or something.

Everything seems to be working fine now, though.

Darklight

Starter

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 09:13:43 AM »
                Just unplug the router and modem and make sure its properly plugged in.....I had the same problem or the network key isn't put in properly.......If it doesn't work then something wrong with your router....